Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: KDE4.3 Beta 2 - Just Updated - How is yours?

Default Re: KDE4.3 Beta 2 - Just Updated - How is yours?

I did with the root user, which allowed me to shutdown and restart properly since desktop effects weren't enabled for root user. I disabled desktop effects on my regular user account and sure enough I could shutdown and restart without having the login screen come up first. I'm going to test if it's just desktop effects or just a certain effect that's doing it. I do know that with my card, when I'd enable something graphics heavy (such as the Desktop cube and cube animation) when I choose apply it gives me a black screen and then kicks me back to the login screen. I can then log in and all desktop effects work, but then I get the problem of not being able to shutdown correctly.

Any ideas of what logs I should check to see what the problem could be?
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

I have a intel 965GM chip here and, while effects like the cube never gave me any trouble, it seems unable to deal well with the rain and snow effects. (not that i care much, they're worse than useless anyway.) Are you using anything like that?

No, nothing like that. As I said, I tried it with just basic effects on, no cube or cube animation or anything like that and it still won't let me shut down correctly. Compiz-fusion works with a regular shutdown even with graphics-heavy effects enabled. I'll do some more tests when I have time.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Just found out that I have no tty interfaces after trying to shutdown, where it kicks me back to the login screen. When I hit ctrl+alt+f1 I just get a black screen with a frozen cursor. I tried with ctrl+alt+f1-11 (with 7 being the gui).

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    Where do I set /tmp to clear on boot? Is there ANY reason to save anything in that folder?
    Personally, I like to use this in fstab:

Code:
    none                 /tmp                 tmpfs      nr_inodes=200k,mode=01777,nosuid,nodev,size=500M 0 0
    It keeps /tmp in ram rather than disk.

Quote Originally Posted by SauronXXX View Post
    Personally, I like to use this in fstab:

Code:
    none                 /tmp                 tmpfs      nr_inodes=200k,mode=01777,nosuid,nodev,size=500M 0 0
    It keeps /tmp in ram rather than disk.
    While i agree with You then You need to watch out sometimes
    For example K3b will save a temporary image in /tmp so in such case it would be too small. But generally it is a good solution. On my PC /tmp is not bigger than couple of MB though /var/tmp gets a lot bigger
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Well, I have a curious problem. I get a few kio_http processes hugging my processor at 100%. I kill these and they magically appear again sometime later. The only things that should be accessing the web are my browsers: Opera & FF; two weather plasmoids and the comic plasmoid. Konqueror is not running, nor is it set to run. I'm stuck at work now and don't have X running on my home machine. And no, I have not logged a bug for this. Apart from that everything is mostly peachy. I say mostly because I really hate the fact that the undo button is next to the new game button on kpat. Yes, I'm addicted to Spider and I'm proud of it! ((-:
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org)

You could always set ksysguard to show the command line options with which kio_http is running.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    You could always set ksysguard to show the command line options with which kio_http is running.
    I did and it still didn't make sense to me. Funny thing is, it now only crops up once out of every 2 starts of X. Since it is kinda kool ova here now, I let the machine permanently and the problem has not reared its ugly head so far.
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org)

guhvies adjusted his/her AFDB on Saturday 20 Jun 2009 22:16 to write:

>
    > BenderBendingRodriguez;2000848 Wrote:
    >> You could always set ksysguard to show the command line options with
    >> which kio_http is running.

> I did and it still didn't make sense to me. Funny thing is, it now only
    > crops up once out of every 2 starts of X. Since it is kinda kool ova
    > here now, I let the machine permanently and the problem has not reared
    > its ugly head so far.
    >
    >

I had the same prob yesterday when I updated and thought it was firefox but
    it was not so I tried removing the plasmoids one by one and eventually found
    ( 99.9999% sure) that it was the CWP weather plasmoid.

Now it may also have been in the plasma configs as well as I deleted all
    things plasma in ~/.kde4/share/config/ because all the plasmoids seem to
    start up in the top left of the screen.

I now have all of the old plasmoids except I use YaWP and have not seen the
    CPU hogging for nearly 24hrs.

HTH
    --
    Mark

Nullus in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast