Cannot set default File Manager in KDE

Looking for File Manager as an option in Default Applications…

MENU…PERSONAL SETTINGS…DEFAULT APPLICATIONS…
The only options are:
Email Client
Embedded Text Editor
Instant Messenger
Terminal Emulator
Web Browser
Window Manager

THAT IS ALL! File Manager is NOT there.

Which KDE4 version? (I’m just wondering if you need to upgrade first)?

This tutorial might be applicable to you if using KDE4.1

In KDE 4.1 and earlier, you have to use the File Associations module (in Advanced) and change the priority of the applications associated with the inode/directory file type so that your preferred file manager is on top.

@recraig2: This is the third thread in which you’re going on about the same thing. So in the meantime you should have learned that we need info, info, info before we can help. You cannot bring ask a garage to pick up ‘a car, because it’s lacking things’.
This is from Standard Apps in Systemsettings:
Email Client
Embedded Text Editor
File Manager
Instant Messenger
Terminal Emulator
Web Browser
Window Manager
As you can see, it’s there.

Still. you have not informed us about which KDE4 version you’re running. If you READ around a bit, you’ll find that 99% of us regard the KDE4 4.2.* series as much more stable and relatively bugfree. So either try to come to a solution, or stop pushing the same things over and over again.

BTW: did you file bugreports on all your findings? If not, do so, it’s the fastest way to get things done.

PLEASE NOTE: Let this post also make clear, that intolerance is not from my parts. I don’t believe in enemies etc., but rather in an open society with equal opportunities and mutual respect. And that’s where “suck” and “crap” don’t fit in.

Knurpht, I also did not set out to make enemies. Rather I found witch hunters here in the forums. It is due to not reading what was actually written, but filling what was not read. For example, I did not start that post about “sucks”. So complaining about anyone using the phrase within that post is irrelevant. This irrelevance is what others picked up on and began an attack against which I had to defend in order to be able simply to express my opinion about the software and process. Then it was painted as if I were the aggressor against some individual. I have no desire to do those sorts of things. However, I am an American and I have a right to express my opinions, even in a forum on the Internet. I have read up at the ACLU and discovered it is in fact protected speech.

As for the problem and the version of KDE I do not sit at my computer all day waiting for a reply. I do not know what version of KDE, because things have been moved since KDE 3 in the Personal Settings area. I have not had a need to find out. Can you help me? What I posted about the File Manager not being an option is true. It is not there. I can provide a snapshot if that will help.

Thanks,…

Can you help me? What I posted about the File Manager not being an option is true. It is not there. I can provide a snapshot if that will help.

I’ve given you an answer on this already. This command will give you KDE4 version

kde4-confg -v

I suspect you’re using a version prior to KDE 4.2

I looked above and in fact you had not given the answer here, but thank you for giving it again. Perhaps you gave it in another forum that was in the Soapbox (focused on strong opinions), rather than the Applications (focused on solving problems). Thank you for restating the information for me.

It doesn’t work. I am logged as root in a terminal and this is the output:

bash: kde4-confg: command not found

Why when I quote you do your quotes not show up? Interesting quirk.

KDE 4.13-3.8.9 is my installed version.
(I checked through YAST Software Management)

This is the most recent stable version that shows up from the repos. There is nothing listed in blue to upgrade to.

Are you recommending I upgrade to an unstable version?

No, I don’t think they were recommending upgrading to an unstable version. But you need someone with kde 4.1.3 to answer you really. Very few of us still use that. As 4.2.4 is considered stable, though upgrading can be tricky.
KDE4.2.* (How To Add) Guide. - openSUSE Forums

The code was

kde4-confg -v

you missed the -v

Anyway. What file manager are you wanting? K?
K for kde4 really used the Dolphin base.

If you expect kde3 type K
You need to install kd3-base

Looks like this for me
http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/3842/69cb2e38418539.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/69cb2e38418539/)

Thank you deano. I appreciate that. Will this mess up anything else in the system, though?

When I went in there were TWO Dolphins, then TWO Konquerors list and two of everything else below them.
After raising the Konquerors in the list and applying all the duplicates vanished. --another “quirk”

KDE 4.1 … a grossly unfinished KDE put out as the flagship desktop for OpenSuSE 11.1, the hottest Linux for the desktop user… interesting.

NO I did NOT miss the -v
I copied and pasted. I just tried it again and that command does not work.

What is the picture for? Maybe you forgot to say something. It’s a picture of Konqueror.

I can launch K, I wanted to set it as the default browser so when an application wants to open/save a file K is used, not Dolphin. I have K set up completely for my work.

This is not an argument here about which one is better, caf4926.

Anyway. What file manager are you wanting? K?
K for kde4 really used the Dolphin base.

I am glad you are happy with Dolphin. I am not, yet. Maybe after it matures into an adult.

Delano did in fact already answer it. Thank you though.

When I try to launch Konqueror now, I get an error message:

There was an error loading the module Cervisa/KDE3. The diagnostics is: The shared library was not found.

The level of illiteracy in the messages in KDE are astounding. It inspires unshakable confidence in the program.

However, Cervisa was installed as a dependent or a default when I first installed SuSE. At the time there was no Cervisa/KDE4. So I will troubleshoot this after work. Gotta run.

Ok, I removed Cervisa/KDE3 from the list for Inode/Directory and everything seems fine.

NO I did NOT miss the -v
I copied and pasted. I just tried it again and that command does not work.
Sorry. My mistake too, I copied and pasted the same typo as you

kde4-confg -v

should be
kde4-config -v

with i
in config

Ah! <laughing so hard> I didn’t even notice that. Wow! We both missed it. rotfl!

Ok

Qt: 4.4.3
KDE: 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) “release 4.10.4”
kde4-config: 1.0

I started a thread on upgrading to KDE 4.2 – it’s not going well.

Well, I can claim credit for making the typo in the first instance :slight_smile: I usually take more care with commands, by cutting and pasting from console where possible. We must all be human - huh?

ok this is how i did it in 11.1 kde 4.1 go into gecko configure desktop advanced file associations then in seatch type folder go into the inode option then you can have konquerer dolphin or su konquerer:)

You mean here:
http://thumbnails16.imagebam.com/4270/2afd7b42696004.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/2afd7b42696004/)
Simple isn’t it