Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install Acroread Binary?

Question How to install Acroread Binary?

Hi,

I've just downloaded Acroreader 9.1 from Adobe HP and want to install it on Suse 11.0.
    There is no previous Acroreader installation on my computer.
    I know, that I could install Acroreader from rpm-package with Yast, however this is then version 8.1.

Is it possible or recommended to install a naked binary and how does this work?
    Or is it better to install the 8.1 - package and to update it with a new binary file?

After working 2 months with Linux, I'm still a newbie, but I already know what a command line or a shell is

Thanks for help.

Lou

Default Re: How to install Acroread Binary?

Quote Originally Posted by southmanx View Post
    Hi,

I've just downloaded Acroreader 9.1 from Adobe HP and want to install it on Suse 11.0.
    There is no previous Acroreader installation on my computer.
    I know, that I could install Acroreader from rpm-package with Yast, however this is then version 8.1.

Is it possible or recommended to install a naked binary and how does this work?
    Or is it better to install the 8.1 - package and to update it with a new binary file?

After working 2 months with Linux, I'm still a newbie, but I already know what a command line or a shell is

Thanks for help.

Lou
    If you install the package from YaST the next binary installation doesn't updates it.
    Installation:
    Code:
    ./AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin
    Hope that helps.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

Blog Entries

Is there a reason you need 9.1 and cannot use 8.1? If you use the standard package from the openSUSE repositories you will get security updates to it. If you install an Adobe package you have to check for updates from Adobe yourself. And as far as I can see acroread is has more holes than cheese; they keep finding new ones.

Thanks for quick answer.

Tried to use the command line code (as su), but receive the error message:
    'Permission denied'

Any idea about the reason?

Lou

Blog Entries

You might need to make it executable first

chmod +x name_of_file

Blog Entries

Sure you want the Adobe reader? It's heavy, slow. If okular can do the job, I wouldn't bother about Acroread anymore.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

evince is the gnome PDF-capable document reader, I use it even on my KDE3 desktop machine.

I'm using KDE 3.0, including KPDF. I'm just used to Acroreader from my previous Windows PC, so just wanted to see, whether I can also use it under Linux.
    Version 8.1 of course would do also, I'm just curious, how to install executable files under Linux as you often can download latest releases for Linux from provider hompages (such as the 9.1 acroreader version or also Firefox f.e.), but not as rpm-package.

Tried the 'chmod +X' - command, but still permission is denied.

Will install the 8.1 package now, but I'm still interested, how to install software under Linux manualy.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

chmod a+x AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin

Then either sh AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin or ./AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin

sh just means shell and will execute the binary, as will ./
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

ravishq NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by southmanx View Post
    I'm using KDE 3.0, including KPDF. I'm just used to Acroreader from my previous Windows PC, so just wanted to see, whether I can also use it under Linux.
    Version 8.1 of course would do also, I'm just curious, how to install executable files under Linux as you often can download latest releases for Linux from provider hompages (such as the 9.1 acroreader version or also Firefox f.e.), but not as rpm-package.

Tried the 'chmod +X' - command, but still permission is denied.

Will install the 8.1 package now, but I'm still interested, how to install software under Linux manualy.

Thanks.
    Please try "chmod +x" and not "chmod +X" i.e. 'x' in small case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast