Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: invalid characters in filenames

  1. #1

    Default invalid characters in filenames

    When I switched to openSuse from PCLinuxOS I had a ton of music files from my collection. Some of the file and/or folder names had special characters like apostrophe or macron in them. openSuse won't allow me to play, copy/move or delete (I'd prefer to keep them) these files or folders. I discovered if the filename is one word (no spaces), I can rename it at the cli. But this fails if there is a space (single or double quotes don't help). Here's what I know:

    In konq or dolphin: The problem character is displayed as a black diamond with a question mark in it. When I attempt renaming or copy/move, the error message says file not found and replaces the diamond with "�".

    At the cli: "ls" lists the filename with a question mark as replacement for the special character. If I do "ls | cat -v" the special character is replaced by "M-a" or "M-i" (I suppose different special characters).

    Is there a way to fix these file names? I have not yet attempted booting to PCLinuxOS livecd to see if I can access them that way.

    I am using openSuse 11.1 (all updates) KDE 4.2 and reisferfs file system.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: invalid characters in filenames

    Have you tried renaming the files? Use a wild card to get round the special characters,

    mv xxx*yyy.txt newfilename.txt

  3. #3

    Default Re: invalid characters in filenames

    Sweet simplicity... works like a charm. Thanks

  4. #4

    Default Re: invalid characters in filenames

    If putting quotes round something with a space in doesn't work, it *might* be worth trying to use \ as an escape character. Maybe this does exactly the same thing as quotes, but maybe there are situations where one works and not the other. Anyone know for sure?

    Code:
    echo test > "dont put spaces in filenames"
    mv dont\ put\ spaces\ in\ filenames thats.better

  5. #5

    Exclamation IN Dolphin is Schizophrenia

    I have a similar problem, but with files created INSIDE dolphin. I create a file with name such as poznań, then Dolphin decides it is an invalid file and claims it doesn't exist. I cannot rename it or delete it. My trash bin is full of a few that Dolphin let me trash, but now won't let me delete, because it thinks they are not there. The Polish letters were replaced with graphic symbols. Many files in my home directory are untouchables as well after creation. I have tried playing with the encoding in the Dolphin system settings. It is only for show. It does not alter the accessibility to those files that Dolphin switched from the Polish to graphic symbols.

    What can I do?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: invalid characters in filenames

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    If putting quotes round something with a space in doesn't work, it *might* be worth trying to use \ as an escape character. Maybe this does exactly the same thing as quotes, but maybe there are situations where one works and not the other. Anyone know for sure?

    Code:
    echo test > "dont put spaces in filenames"
    mv dont\ put\ spaces\ in\ filenames thats.better
    They should generally do the same thing, but try inserting escape characters in something like "$FILENAME."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: IN Dolphin is Schizophrenia

    Quote Originally Posted by recraig2 View Post
    I have a similar problem, but with files created INSIDE dolphin. I create a file with name such as poznań, then Dolphin decides it is an invalid file and claims it doesn't exist. I cannot rename it or delete it. My trash bin is full of a few that Dolphin let me trash, but now won't let me delete, because it thinks they are not there. The Polish letters were replaced with graphic symbols. Many files in my home directory are untouchables as well after creation. I have tried playing with the encoding in the Dolphin system settings. It is only for show. It does not alter the accessibility to those files that Dolphin switched from the Polish to graphic symbols.

    What can I do?
    Sounds like a bug in Dolphin. Why don't you report it?

    https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: invalid characters in filenames

    The original problem with filename encoding can probably be solved with "convmv" command. See "man convmv". You can test what encoding was by for instance "ls * | recode ISO-8859-1.." if you have reasons to suspect that original encoding was ISO-8859-1.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,417

    Default Re: IN Dolphin is Schizophrenia

    Quote Originally Posted by chief_sealth View Post
    Sounds like a bug in Dolphin. Why don't you report it?
    I agree; I have several files with Czech accents in the filenames, e.g. Šrka.ogg, but I have Konqueror as my file manager, as I did in KDE3.5, and I have never had any problems.

  10. #10

    Default Re: invalid characters in filenames

    I downloaded some tar.gz's from a Russian literary site. I unpacked them. Then I renamed the files, and moved them. I trashed the folders, which had the same names as the files. These folders were in my trash. Emptying trash would not get rid of them. Going to the .local and deleting wouldn't work. The report was that the folders did not exist. That was only one example. Others of similar strangeness were just sitting in my folders. I had created them in OpenSuSE 11.0 or even 10.3 with Konq in KDE3. Now they are illegible, unrenamable, unmovable, and undeletable (even from within root). This is what is all so unbelievable!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •