Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switched to KDE 4.2 but have policykit problems

Default Switched to KDE 4.2 but have policykit problems

A week ago I installed 11.1 with Gnome and everything worked fine. I then decided to switch to KDE as I heard it was more integrated.
    Any way I decided to do a clean reinstall of 11.1 with KDE but now I am unable to access my ntfs partitions or my usb CD-Rom. I get an error something like

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolic y: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed
    auth_admin_keep_always <-- (action, result)

How do I get around this and why has this suddenly popped up when it didn't in Gnome?
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Switched to KDE 4.2 but have policykit problems

post result of

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    and

Code:
    zypper lr --details
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

/etc/fstab
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part3 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2                                
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part5 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1                                
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part7 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2                                
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    zypper ls --details
    Code:
    # | Alias             | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                  | Service
    --+-------------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | KDE_4.2           | KDE 4.2               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/42/openSUSE_11.1/                     |
    2 | KDE_4.2_Community | KDE 4.2 Community     | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE_42/ |
    3 | openSUSE 11.1-0   | openSUSE 11.1-0       | No      | No      |   99     | yast2  | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0                                                              |
    4 | repo              | Packman Repository    | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.1/                                          |
    5 | repo-non-oss      | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | Yes     |  120     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss/                         |
    6 | repo-oss          | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | Yes     |  120     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/                             |
    7 | repo-update       | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/
    A couple of points:
    It works fine when I'm looked in as root.
    I notice that the ntfs partition is not shown in the fstab. (Being logged in as user)

Blog Entries

You need to edit fstab

use this in a su terminal

Code:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab
    Here is a how to: HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11

basically what you need is to use fdisk -l in a su terminal to list your partitions

add entries like this:Eg;
    /dev/sda2 /path_to/mount_point ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

a path might be

/dev/sda2 /media/windows_c ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

see this also
    FSTAB - Editing Manually - openSUSE Forums
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Right I edited the fstab and the file systems mount but I still don't have access to them. Still getting the policykit error. Seems like that is over riding everything.

Blog Entries

Did you update
    go su in a terminal and do

Code:
    zypper ref
    then
    Code:
    zypper up
    let us know what happens
    Leap 15.1_KDE

zypper ref
    Code:
    Repository 'KDE 4.2' is up to date.
    Repository 'KDE 4.2 Community' is up to date.
    Repository 'Packman Repository' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Oss' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Update' is up to date.
    All repositories have been refreshed.
    zypper up
    Code:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Nothing to do.
    Where are these policies stored? If I could just find how / where to configure these policies then I could just relax them a little.

I'm beginning to regret switching to KDE. Suddenly a lot of things that just worked in Gnome are not working now - but that's for another topic.

Blog Entries

Edit: DID you reboot!

Then try below:

Lets see
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    also look at doing this

YAST >> Security and Users >> User Management >> "select your user" >> Edit >> Details >> Group >> check "disk" and then click on "ACCEPT"
    Leap 15.1_KDE

cat /etc/fstab

Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part3 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part5 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part7 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    /dev/sda8/media/Local-Data      ext3       default              1 2
    /dev/sda1/media/IBM_PRELOAD     ntfs-3g    default              0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    I've added disk to the group and applied it. Still not working. Pulling my hair out now. Appreciating your patience and help though

EDIT: FYI, it's the two partitions sda1 & sda8 that I cannot access. Ones even a Linux partition.

I'm wondering the why rather than the how...

I suspect it is related to policykit-kde, but don't really know and suspect the wiki isn't going to help much.

You can over ride policies with
    /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf

man PolicyKit.conf.. this shows you how to fix it but is an unrelated distro, but should work. HAL - ArchWiki can't really give specific instructions as I don't have the problem. But the problem is based around hal and hotplugging.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we talking of all hotplugging devices? Why well you have edited fstab with /media and all devices in media are mounted by hal. Is this a removable drive?

HAL - ArchWiki
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast