/dev/sda1/media/IBM_PRELOAD ntfs-3g default 0 0

should be:
    /dev/sda1/media/IBM_PRELOAD ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

you were missing the s

now try
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Switched to KDE 4.2 but have policykit problems

The two partitions I'm mounting are actual partitions on my primary HDD. sda1 is the XP partition (I'm dual booting), and sda8 is just an additional partition I created to place all my working files into to keep them out of the /home partition as it's gets quite messy in there.

The reason why I mounted them to the media path is that is how it was done automatically by Gnome so I assumed that was how Suse did it. What's strange is that initially when I had Gnome I didn't have this problem at all so it suggests that the DE plays with the policies settings. That or something screwey has ahppened to my install.

I added the 's' to defaults. No difference. I'll look at that HAL stuff on the link you gave.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Well media sounds the wrong place why gnome was auto mounting them I don't really understand.

The simple way is firstly everything after sda* is wrong.(I suspect missing a space man fstab)

Next just open up yast partitioner and use that to mount them, now from what I've worked out, permissions are related to the where and will inherit. So the simplest is to mount in your home tree but .. afaik this will not work with ntfs-3g you still need to declare it.

But if you use the yast partitoner tool you also have fstab options to play with, and no need for manually editing.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

An alternative is to use Yast Partitioner.

Click the hard drive you want to mount, then choose the partition. Click edit and make sure it's set to DO NOT FORMAT. Then choose the mount option and mount it as /windows/C or whatever you want to mount it as. Then choose the fstab option underneath and change dmask=022 to dmask 002. Then click finish and then click ok (or apply or finish, i'm not at an openSUSE computer right now). Restart and you should be good to go.

Good Luck,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Blog Entries

I added the 's' to defaults. No difference. I'll look at that HAL stuff on the link you gave.
    And rebooted?

Normally you should set mount points during install for these partitions. The gnome / kde thing is not really the issue.

You can edit out what you added in fstab if you like and try FM's way using yast.

As for the mount point. It doesn't really matter too much, but yes /media is normally removable devices.
    You could just create a folder in your tree called /IBM_PRELOAD
    then use that as the mount point
    Leap 15_KDE

OK, I'm half way there. I can read/write to sda1 but can only read sda8. I removed the manual edits from fstab and did it through YAST as suggested.

This is my fstab after the YAST configuration
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part3 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part5 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part7 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part1 /media/IBM_PRELOAD   ntfs-3g    user,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=002,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part8 /media/Local-Data    ext3       user,acl,user_xattr   1 2
    EDIT: I've left it mounted to media for the time being. I'll sort out a better mount point once I get it working.

Blog Entries

You can just keep editing till it works

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part1 /media/IBM_PRELOAD ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=002,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id

/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part8 /media/Local-Data ext3 defaults 1 2

Is how my ext3 storage is shown, here it is:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part2 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part1 /STORE ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    #usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /sys/bus/usb/drivers /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=111,devmode=664 0 0
    FYI I think you would find the direction I gave earlier for your ntfs partition with the ending: defaults 0 0
    would work now, but no matter.
    Leap 15_KDE

Default Re: Switched to KDE 4.2 but have policykit problems - FIXED

OK, I resolved the problem. I noticed that the permissions for the sba8 partition were set to User: root, Group: root. I logged in as root and changed the group to users and now it works. I'm not sure if that is the correct way of doing it but it's working.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Afaik that will not be persistent I would suspect that one of the earlier bits would be correct.

Perhaps you need the number for the gid rather than alpha, not sure not mounted a windows partition for a long time. Perhaps try the number you get back from
    Code:
    grep users /etc/group
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Grep users /etc/group gives
    users:x:100:

The windows partition is working fine now, I can read / write to it. It's the Linux partition sda8 that is giving problems. I tried all the suggestions above and couldn't get it to allow write permissions so I resorted to my 'fix' of changing the permissions while logged in as root.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12