Switched to KDE 4.2 but have policykit problems

A week ago I installed 11.1 with Gnome and everything worked fine. I then decided to switch to KDE as I heard it was more integrated.
Any way I decided to do a clean reinstall of 11.1 with KDE but now I am unable to access my ntfs partitions or my usb CD-Rom. I get an error something like

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolic y: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed
auth_admin_keep_always ← (action, result)

How do I get around this and why has this suddenly popped up when it didn’t in Gnome?

post result of

cat /etc/fstab

and

zypper lr --details

/etc/fstab

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part3 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2                                
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part5 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1                                
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part7 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2                                
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

zypper ls --details

# | Alias             | Name                  | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                  | Service
--+-------------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
1 | KDE_4.2           | KDE 4.2               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/42/openSUSE_11.1/                     |
2 | KDE_4.2_Community | KDE 4.2 Community     | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE_42/ |
3 | openSUSE 11.1-0   | openSUSE 11.1-0       | No      | No      |   99     | yast2  | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0                                                              |
4 | repo              | Packman Repository    | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.1/                                          |
5 | repo-non-oss      | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Yes     | Yes     |  120     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss/                         |
6 | repo-oss          | openSUSE-11.1-Oss     | Yes     | Yes     |  120     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/                             |
7 | repo-update       | openSUSE-11.1-Update  | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/

A couple of points:
It works fine when I’m looked in as root.
I notice that the ntfs partition is not shown in the fstab. (Being logged in as user)

You need to edit fstab

use this in a su terminal

kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab

Here is a how to: HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11

basically what you need is to use fdisk -l in a su terminal to list your partitions

add entries like this:Eg;
/dev/sda2 /path_to/mount_point ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

a path might be

/dev/sda2 /media/windows_c ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

see this also
FSTAB - Editing Manually - openSUSE Forums

Right I edited the fstab and the file systems mount but I still don’t have access to them. Still getting the policykit error. Seems like that is over riding everything.

Did you update
go su in a terminal and do

zypper ref

then

zypper up

let us know what happens

zypper ref

Repository 'KDE 4.2' is up to date.
Repository 'KDE 4.2 Community' is up to date.
Repository 'Packman Repository' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Oss' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE-11.1-Update' is up to date.
All repositories have been refreshed.

zypper up

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Nothing to do.

Where are these policies stored? If I could just find how / where to configure these policies then I could just relax them a little.

I’m beginning to regret switching to KDE. Suddenly a lot of things that just worked in Gnome are not working now - but that’s for another topic.

**Edit: DID you reboot!
Then try below:

Lets see

cat /etc/fstab

also look at doing this

YAST >> Security and Users >> User Management >> “select your user” >> Edit >> Details >> Group >> check “disk” and then click on “ACCEPT”

cat /etc/fstab

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part3 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part5 /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part7 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/sda8/media/Local-Data      ext3       default              1 2
/dev/sda1/media/IBM_PRELOAD     ntfs-3g    default              0 0

I’ve added disk to the group and applied it. Still not working. Pulling my hair out now. Appreciating your patience and help though :good:

EDIT: FYI, it’s the two partitions sda1 & sda8 that I cannot access. Ones even a Linux partition.

I’m wondering the why rather than the how…

I suspect it is related to policykit-kde, but don’t really know and suspect the wiki isn’t going to help much.

You can over ride policies with
/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf

man PolicyKit.conf… this shows you how to fix it but is an unrelated distro, but should work. HAL - ArchWiki can’t really give specific instructions as I don’t have the problem. But the problem is based around hal and hotplugging.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t we talking of all hotplugging devices? Why well you have edited fstab with /media and all devices in media are mounted by hal. Is this a removable drive?

HAL - ArchWiki

/dev/sda1/media/IBM_PRELOAD ntfs-3g default 0 0

should be:
/dev/sda1/media/IBM_PRELOAD ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

you were missing the s

now try

The two partitions I’m mounting are actual partitions on my primary HDD. sda1 is the XP partition (I’m dual booting), and sda8 is just an additional partition I created to place all my working files into to keep them out of the /home partition as it’s gets quite messy in there.

The reason why I mounted them to the media path is that is how it was done automatically by Gnome so I assumed that was how Suse did it. What’s strange is that initially when I had Gnome I didn’t have this problem at all so it suggests that the DE plays with the policies settings. That or something screwey has ahppened to my install.

I added the ‘s’ to defaults. No difference. I’ll look at that HAL stuff on the link you gave.

Well media sounds the wrong place why gnome was auto mounting them I don’t really understand.

The simple way is firstly everything after sda* is wrong.(I suspect missing a space man fstab)

Next just open up yast partitioner and use that to mount them, now from what I’ve worked out, permissions are related to the where and will inherit. So the simplest is to mount in your home tree but … afaik this will not work with ntfs-3g you still need to declare it.

But if you use the yast partitoner tool you also have fstab options to play with, and no need for manually editing.

An alternative is to use Yast Partitioner.

Click the hard drive you want to mount, then choose the partition. Click edit and make sure it’s set to DO NOT FORMAT. Then choose the mount option and mount it as /windows/C or whatever you want to mount it as. Then choose the fstab option underneath and change dmask=022 to dmask 002. Then click finish and then click ok (or apply or finish, i’m not at an openSUSE computer right now). Restart and you should be good to go.

Good Luck,

Ian

I added the ‘s’ to defaults. No difference. I’ll look at that HAL stuff on the link you gave.
And rebooted?

Normally you should set mount points during install for these partitions. The gnome / kde thing is not really the issue.

You can edit out what you added in fstab if you like and try FM’s way using yast.

As for the mount point. It doesn’t really matter too much, but yes /media is normally removable devices.
You could just create a folder in your tree called /IBM_PRELOAD
then use that as the mount point

OK, I’m half way there. I can read/write to sda1 but can only read sda8. I removed the manual edits from fstab and did it through YAST as suggested.

This is my fstab after the YAST configuration

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part1 /media/IBM_PRELOAD   ntfs-3g    user,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=002,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part8 /media/Local-Data    ext3       user,acl,user_xattr   1 2

EDIT: I’ve left it mounted to media for the time being. I’ll sort out a better mount point once I get it working.

You can just keep editing till it works

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part1 /media/IBM_PRELOAD ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=002,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id

/ata-Hitachi_HTS542525K9SA00_071007BB0F00WDGAHZXA-part8 /media/Local-Data ext3 defaults 1 2

Is how my ext3 storage is shown, here it is:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part2 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part1 /STORE ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160827AS_5RF16D1B-part6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
#usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/sys/bus/usb/drivers /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=111,devmode=664 0 0

FYI I think you would find the direction I gave earlier for your ntfs partition with the ending: defaults 0 0
would work now, but no matter.

OK, I resolved the problem. I noticed that the permissions for the sba8 partition were set to User: root, Group: root. I logged in as root and changed the group to users and now it works. I’m not sure if that is the correct way of doing it but it’s working.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Afaik that will not be persistent I would suspect that one of the earlier bits would be correct.

Perhaps you need the number for the gid rather than alpha, not sure not mounted a windows partition for a long time. Perhaps try the number you get back from

grep users /etc/group

Grep users /etc/group gives
users:x:100:

The windows partition is working fine now, I can read / write to it. It’s the Linux partition sda8 that is giving problems. I tried all the suggestions above and couldn’t get it to allow write permissions so I resorted to my ‘fix’ of changing the permissions while logged in as root.