Thread: openSUSE Newbie - Questions about grub and fstab

Default openSUSE Newbie - Questions about grub and fstab

Just installed openSUSE 11.1 , dual boot with debian.

Understand that openSUSE uses YAST to assist users to maintain most of the system setting and config.

1. openSUSE had automatically mounted me d: drive (/dev/sda2) as /windows/d. I had wanted to mounted it as /mnt/delta as was in debian.

a. where can I find the setting in YAST to do this.
    b. if I were to edit /etc/fstab manually, will I mess YAST's other settings?

2. openSUSE had automatically detected Debian and add it in it's grub. However, I had Debian's grub install in /dev/sda7.

c. how can I use YAST to chainload to Debian's grub at /dev/sda7.
    d. if I were to edit /boot/grun/menu.lst manually, will I mess YAST's other settings?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: openSUSE Newbie - Questions about grub and fstab

Yast is only a tool which lets you run most of the admin tasks via a gui.
    You can either edit the fstab directly or use yast>system>partitioner.
    Likewise, if you are comfortable editing the menu directly, fine, otherwise you can use yast>system>bootloader.

Default Re: openSUSE Newbie - Questions about grub and fstab

Keeping backup of the files you going to modify is always good option.

Quote Originally Posted by michalng View Post
    1. openSUSE had automatically mounted me d: drive (/dev/sda2) as /windows/d. I had wanted to mounted it as /mnt/delta as was in debian.

a. where can I find the setting in YAST to do this.
    b. if I were to edit /etc/fstab manually, will I mess YAST's other settings?
    a. YAST -> System -> bootloader
    b. Just modify the relevant entry in fstab it won't mess up anything else. before hand understand the format of fstab file. This link
    will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by michalng View Post
    2. openSUSE had automatically detected Debian and add it in it's grub. However, I had Debian's grub install in /dev/sda7.

c. how can I use YAST to chainload to Debian's grub at /dev/sda7.
    d. if I were to edit /boot/grun/menu.lst manually, will I mess YAST's other settings?
    c. YAST -> bootloader -> bottom right hand corner above finish there is an option "Other" -> Edit Configuration Files.

chainloader(hdX,Y)+1
    X: hard disk number
    Y partition no. not /dev/sda7 see below:

OR

select the paticular entry from the list edit it.

d. it is a bit tricky, depends on the partitions you have made in your hard disk you need to makesure the /dev/sda7 is used when you select Debian's grub entry. That should display the bootloader(or whatever it is called) for debian.

I believe these things are kind of similar in most versions of Linux. it only needs a better view and understanding of scenario at hand.

for editting grub manually remember
    hd0 -> first hard disk
    hd1 -> second hard disk

(hd0,0) -> first primary partition of first hard disk

you need to workout for /dev/sda7

OK thats what i can think of at the moment from the text in your post. if need more help let me know the partition table.

I dont know if the above thing can help or not but thats what i know about this thing. still amature. ;-)