Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing to External Disk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing to External Disk

You need to absolutely clear about what you want. I'm still not sure what you expect. A live session or Installed system.
    There are options! But try and be specific about your needs and what you need to achieve.
    Have a look here in the mean time:
    UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Ok, I'll try to make it clear as possible...

See this thread, I have a similar need...
    I have a installed and working opensuse installation in my internal HDD. I have updated it with kde4.2 compiz-fusion and some small adjustments to overcome emerald titlebar issues...
    These updates took me 1-2 days to complete( Not 48 hours but I suspended to disk and continued whenever I got time)
    And I really hate to redo that again and again....

So I searched here and found the above mentioned thread and followed what "ijbreakey" mentioned there...

I installed live-insaller and completed the installation with some issues during boot loader installtion but it went through.
    But I cant reboot from usb drive as grub keep bugging me with error :22

Hope you got my point... I dont mind explaining again and again but I just need it.

So in short I need a bootable copy of my harddisk installtion of opensuse in my usb drive. If I can make it portable with some additional updates or installation, I'm ready to do it too... But primarily I need a excat copy of my installation in my usb.

Blog Entries

OK. I can't really say I have a good knowledge here. I have never bothered try to install to an external drive. I have used unetbootin to create a bootable live usb flash drive.
    If I were to experiment myself, I would probably pull the power on all my internal HD's boot from a live cd with the usb drive connected and see if I could install from there. I would use the installer partitioner to wipe the drive and create what I need (swap | / | /home) Grub should go to MBR if possible.

So long as your Mobo allows usb booting (and there is usually more than 1 option type for usb boot) and grub was successfully installed, it should work I guess. But I do know it's not simple.

You would have to make it an exact copy by manually installing everything the same.

Now look at this option:
    Cloning an old drive to a new drive - openSUSE Forums

This sort of thing is something you need to learn by just getting stuck in and having a go.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12