Thread: How do I update the kernel?

Default How do I update the kernel?

I want to update the kernel on my system (currently using 2.6.31.12-0.2-debug), and I added the kernel head repository, but online update gives me nothing. This may be a simple question, but how do I update my kernel?

Default Re: How do I update the kernel?

That is the current Kernel for 11.2. You got a reason?

To get a newer kernel you need to add Factory or Kernel repositories depending on what kernel you want.

If you've already added the Kernel Head repo, then go into Yast2 (Add/remove software tool), search for kernel, then right click on it and select update.

It will pop up a scary message about dependencies, select the option that says something like "switch to repo kernel:head" or whatever.

You might also want to add the new kernel syms and source too.

I switched to the .33 kernel on my 11.2 install and it works perfectly, much better than the old one (ie sound now works!).

Good luck
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

Just to clarify, the URL I added as the head kernel repository is Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.2

In YaST there is no section called "Add/Remove Software", but there is "Software Management". I searched for kernel there, but there were no upgrades to my existing kernels. I could download new ones from the head repository, but upgrades simply weren't there.

Update: I believe I managed to get the head kernel installed, but it looks like it breaks my graphics driver (no mouse shows up, strange scrolling in YaST). Are there any kernel versions between the current one and HEAD, and if so, which repositories should I use to get them?

I am strongly against kernel updates. I have habbit to taboo kernel updates immediately after install. When I want new kernel, if I have a reason, I download full version from kernel.org and recompile it myself.

If you cant find a reason why whould you update. Don't touch.
    If you just want to make it faster, see my blog post.
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop

I believe I managed to get the head kernel installed, but it looks like it breaks my graphics driver
    That's normal for certain graphic cards. You have to compile / re-install the graphics driver against the new kernel. What kind of graphics card do you have?
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series, using driver "fglrx_pci".