natural_pilot

Blog Entries

Default Re: opensuse 11.1 install freeze

[QUOTE=natural_pilot;
    but but, i thought M$ refused to 'see' EXTx (and etc) as anything
    other than 'corrupted disk' ??

--
    natural_pilot[/QUOTE]
    True. BUT. I can tell you this from experience.
    With a working Linux install and NTFS partition created by Parted Magic. Insert Vista disc and it does not recognize the ntfs partition and trying to format within the Vista setup fails.
    But - insert XP install disc, it sees the partition and will format it. - Now put Vista disc back in and it will recognize the partition and install to it.

Another BUT. Use a recovery disc as supplied by the likes of Dell, it's not like a true windows installer. All the times I have used them, it will restore what was shipped. There is no option to partition. It just writes to the entire disc, which it can obviously see, regardless of existing partitions. It will also install the utility recovery partition we are all too familiar with.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

natural_pilot NNTP User

> a recovery disc as supplied by the likes of Dell, it's not like a
    > true windows installer...it will restore what was shipped. There is
    > no option to partition. It just writes to the entire disc, which it
    > can obviously see, regardless of existing partitions. It will also
    > install the utility recovery partition we are all too familiar
    > with.

AH! having never used one i could not guess...now i'd guess the Dell
    (et al) disk uses a non-M$ tool (such as Partition Magic or, more
    likely, GNU parted).

--
    natural_pilot

Blog Entries

Worst thing about it is, you really have no idea WTF is happening until it's all done. It's a mystery to me how people live with that kind of rubbish.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by logicazero View Post
    Hello all,

I already installed opensuse few weeks ago with no problems on my dell xps m1530. Since it was my first step into linux world it was more a test rather than anything else. Now i'm getting confortable with opensuse and wanted to format my computer and reinstall clean Vista and opensuse.

This time opensuse wont install both with 32bit or 64bit version. I follow all the steps that has to be done prior the installation. both DVD have no problems. I get the boot screen, click install, the rest goes on normally but then when proper installation start it freezes. It always freeze at 'preparing disks' at 1%. I can move my mouse, but can't click anything and i am forced to manually switch off my computer.

I tried several time changin the options (video...)in the boot screen. Nothing changes. i really don't understand why few days ago i could install it without problemd and now it freezes. hope you can help me...

thanks
    Maybe this will help How to resize a partition in Windows Vista | Vista Rewired

shrink your vista partition then retry reinstalling openSuse. you should have space on your hd to do so.

one caveat though I've read reports about dell being kinda quirky on how it manages its restore and partitioning

It is sad to say, but every time I have installed opensuse, I have had a problem when it actually starts installing. The first time I think it was 10.3 and I was installing it on my mom's computer to try it. Her computer already had Windows on the whole drive (200gb), so I shrank the Windows partition 40gb. Well the installer apparently shrank the partition then started creating the swap partition and crashed. Then I was left with 40gb of completely unusable space, no installers and no partitioning programs could do anything with it if they would even see it. The only way to get it back would be to format the entire drive.

The most recent one was when I installed 11.1 on my computer, and wasn't as big a deal because I was reformatting anyways. The installer froze in the middle of the install and I had to redo it.

It can be a pain to get Windows and linux to both work well on a computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123