Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome vs KDE

Default Gnome vs KDE

Ok without starting a Gnome vs KDE which is best war I just have a simple question.

I currently use Gnome - it just happened to be the one I chose when I installed 11.1. I've not tried KDE yet, but when I'm looking for a small applet, app or similar for Gnome, I seem to ge the impression that there is more available for KDE. Is this true or is it just a perception I'm seeing? Is more developed for KDE than Gnome?
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Default Re: Gnome vs KDE

My personal feeling is that there are more KDE apps available. (But a lot of them can run in Gnome environment too).
    If you want to try KDE4, try only versions >= 4.2.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

I got the impression KDE apps are often better than Gnome ones even if both exist, and have ended up using Akregator and Krusader and a few others in my Gnome environment. They work fine, even if they don't always theme properly - just let them pull in the libraries they need.

Don't forget there's nothing stopping you having both (or many) desktop environments installed simultaneously.

I personally prefer Gnome than KDE. Thouh using KDE currently.
    KDE 3 series is real desktop, if some one want to experience stable desktop env. 4 is just in development process. Even 4.2.3 still not that mature enough.
    Gnome has alot of softwares too.
    KDE has QT and gnome depends on GTK. More software are written for GKT.
    Gnome is not a memory hog like KDE. KDE will use your resources like vista. its heavy than gnome. Gnome works perfect than KDE on low conf desktops and laptops.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmarif4u View Post
    KDE has QT and gnome depends on GTK. More software are written for GKT.
    Gnome is not a memory hog like KDE. KDE will use your resources like vista. its heavy than gnome. Gnome works perfect than KDE on low conf desktops and laptops.
    I really beg to differ or are you just trolling around? Both KDE and GNOME have the same memory footprint, and in regards to KDE4 it is known to have a smaller one than GNOME

As for more GTK apps written than QT ones, it's because of past licensing issues which are now fully resolved. IMHO QT is much more flexible and superior than GTK and I've used them both

FYI i also used both, and i am saying that bcoz of my experience not trolling around.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarif4u View Post
    FYI i also used both, and i am saying that bcoz of my experience not trolling around.
    Well, my experience and a lot of other KDE users experiences does not reflect yours. I run KDE4 on an old P4@2.4 ghz with only 512 MB of RAM. Absolutely no performance problems here and saying that KDE will hog your system like Vista does is flatout a lie

There were some complaints about KDE taking more memory etc. but I think it is something to do with some specific program/component. I haven't yet reproduced anything of that sort in my system.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

Quote Originally Posted by syampillai View Post
    There were some complaints about KDE taking more memory etc. but I think it is something to do with some specific program/component. I haven't yet reproduced anything of that sort in my system.
    I think you're talking about memory leaks present in plasma which caused enormous amount of memory consumption for some users. Most of these problems (if not all) have been fixed by now. On my systems with KDE4 I have never had any memory problems with it. If KDE was such a memory hog like the previous user claimed, don't you think we'll have countless complaints about this on the forum, something like people saying how much KDE consumes memory by default? (not related to possible leaks)

Comparing it to vista does not mean that at 1GB RAM it will slow up the things, but compare to gnome.
    And where i impose my opinion on others. That were just my opinions as like others and as like you.
    You will write what you experienced, not to take a side of one thing, bcoz you like it. I also like KDE, but it does not mean, i will hide the experience i had and have with KDE. You like KDE, just use it, who is stopping you.
    IMHO, you are imposing your ideas on others here.
    That is what i write about KDE, bcoz i experienced it.
    That's all.

EDIT: I think, This thread should be moved to soap box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast