Syncing Kontact between notebook and desktop

Has anyone come up with a usable method of doing this…besides manually configuring both machines then copying an entire hidden directory tree each time?

Use unison .

The sleep aid?

seasoned geek wrote:

> Has anyone come up with a usable method of doing this…besides manually
> configuring both machines then copying an entire hidden directory tree
> each time?

I use grsync.

BackPacker

I’ve just installed Dropbox, which looks incredibly easy to use - but isn’t open source. Don’t see why you couldn’t symbolically link the appropriate files into a dropbox on each PC.

Because that is the typical half-arsed approach normally used in the OpenSource/PC world and I want a quality solution. Kontact has a lot of stuff scattered in a lot of places, much of it is no where near the .kde4/share/apps/kmail tree. I want something that will coordinate all of kontact between the two machines.

It looks like kitchensync might be much of what I ask for, but it hasn’t been ported to KDE4 yet…at least in the OpenSuSE repositories. I don’t want to have a mish-mash of kde3 and kde4 pim. That is just begging for disaster.

Evolution has been trying to get this very feature built into it…too bad the rest of evolution is such an unusable piece of doo-doo.

Kontact provides 99% of what I need in a PIM…if and only if I can find a way to sync it between my notebook and my workstation. I travel around the country doing consulting, but spend quite a few months back at my home office. I want a clean solution which lets me pick up and go…no, I’m not ready to dump my workstation and live with only a notebook. That would be too high risk…until I leave IT I will need at least two machines so I can keep the stuff for other clients out of the machine I have at the current client site. Those non-disclosure/non-compete agreements lead to hardware replication.

It actually looks like it might happen for KDE4, but will be quite some time. I just found this on the KDE PIM mailing list:

kitchensync uses opensync 0.22 (the latest stable version), and the kdepim-sync plugin of that version uses the KDE3 libraries. So you probably can’t sync with that version against KDE4 as KDE4 uses a different default location of the PIM data (~/.kde4 instead ~/.kde)
I didn’t try if there is a workaround to that problem.

Currently there is no kdepim-sync plugin which links against the new KDE4 libraries, and there is no work put into the already old version 0.22 of opensync. Instead, there is heavy work going on for the next stable release 0.40.

However, work has been started on a new KDE4-PIM opensync plugin which uses the new Akonadi infrastructure, so at some point in time after the release of opensync 0.40 there will be a working KDE-PIM sync again.

According to the roadmap they might get done in the next 6 months. Too late for me, but…

Roadmap – OpenSync