Thread: AVG 8.5 for Linux

CompuForensics NNTP User

Default AVG 8.5 for Linux

I ran the RPM install for the recently released AVG Free version 8.5. It appeared to install, although I could find no reference to it in the application menu. Has anyone had experience using AVG 8.5 for Linux?

Default Re: AVG 8.5 for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by CompuForensics View Post
    I ran the RPM install for the recently released AVG Free version 8.5. It appeared to install, although I could find no reference to it in the application menu. Has anyone had experience using AVG 8.5 for Linux?
    Type
    Code:
    whereis avg
    in command line to find the executables.
    Hope that helps.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

I know you better than me, by why use AVG in linux if you are going to use AV.

Try Avast. It always worked better in windows than avg. And there is a supported version of avast for linux.

Check their website
    Opensuse 11.3 KDE 4.4.4, Windows XP. Vostro 1500 with 2.0Ghz Core2Duo and 8400M GS and DELL wireless 1390 Card
    Office: PCLinuxOS KDE 4.3.5 Whitebox, 2GB RAM, 2.8GHz Pentium 4

Hi,
    the reason you should use something else (Avast, Avira, ClamAV, ...) is that AVG is not what it was in past (5-10 years ago). AVG, especially free version has very poor detection of viruses (<75%). Fore example free avast should have >85%. It is not enough more, but it helps.
    Another point is, that Windows antiviruses ported to Linux are mainly created for searching Windows viruses coming through Linux server (mail servers, ftp servers, web servers, ...) so they can be worse in detection of Linux viruses (even if there is not so much Linux viruses)
    Laptop: openSuSE 11.0 on Asus F5V; Intel T2250 1730MHz; 2GB; 160GB; ATI Radeon X2300
    Desktop: openSuSE 11.1 on AMD Duron 1600MHz; 1GB; 160GB; nVidia FX5500
    Multimedia PC: openSuSE 11.1 on Intel Atom 330; 2GB; 840GB; Intel Acc 950; Leadtek DTV 2000H

Antivirus is not really needed for linux, as linux is immune to windows viruses.