Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Set the time for a download to commence.

  1. #1

    Default Set the time for a download to commence.

    Our Internet Service Provider has made provision for free downloads after 12pm. Data downloaded during the early hours of the morning is not recorded against my account.
    This begs the question of the availability of tools to download at set times.Has anyone seen or heard of software to do this ? I had a look at kget but it does not seem to have this functionality.

  2. #2
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    cabernet wrote:

    > Our Internet Service Provider has made provision for free downloads
    > after 12pm. Data downloaded during the early hours of the morning is not
    > recorded against my account.
    > This begs the question of the availability of tools to download at set
    > times.Has anyone seen or heard of software to do this ? I had a look at
    > kget but it does not seem to have this functionality.


    Just an idea :-)

    You can use "cron" tasks to schedule any operation you need to perform at
    any stipulated time.

    Greetings

    --
    Camalen

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    1,770

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    You may configure a cron job for this and you can use wget for downloading.
    Again, it depends on what exactly you want to download. If it is a torrent, it can be better handled.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

  4. #4

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Or, since it's something you want to start 'at' a specific time, try 'at':

    at midnight
    > wget http://yourfilehere


    Press Ctrl+D to exit and save the job, Ctrl+C to just cancel out and not
    save the job.

    Good luck.





    syampillai wrote:
    > You may configure a cron job for this and you can use wget for
    > downloading.
    > Again, it depends on what exactly you want to download. If it is a
    > torrent, it can be better handled.
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJKHUeIAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5g3wQAK9SdmsDu1dUoizduWh1rfOx
    bnTX24XRfy6LxbnpffrzLhO03sHIRaUgBcjP5+TmCwf5ioTtfqe5q9NSo1dLcxZc
    j2t5q/c8IPgYjkY0oceZJTMcLtRnbFx2nfJsAdMY5zaHhZyro5JblLAiKG599HyG
    Gi+H8RikZKWC1UiiM8oaOwvDAlik44jXAV2PuiABsLqufRcKl2Wg5OuhIMTgNd9R
    qNiqp6WHANgb/TQybn5neeHCu9MydMJCdXIqVzSPCOXHwp5Dftz8BEAYRM0++0zi
    dWN46aiShGa1ASUsjrCzTYJh4FUL23oRAaIjBcQuXd0Rh4z9kC7cvbrJahiQ2nDE
    aXhpVHST5zx1M0TdlAfRDZyc0cEsEDuhpru9he0X0YIEPDgKbKEJoDFme+4I4OZb
    DDyNi03luUgu5Y7/G4T6GAzX/KZCIDPz3FG7tj6Q92EGaW/apRu9butwhAZS3eWT
    vyKabvM5th1rAoROSYqDstmh1i1NHZ8TVzHzd9rDxKMVl144Je1dIgxBSqmVWEhE
    tkohWCpjkCzmAQzD4uSes5fDL3gudQJUffmd5A/9ChVDqTglgVV7Rw/nU+t9xFnG
    qGMZYv19BDdBUWWHikD8gLkQFCLIwp6djBISQd3J+Wsa1p5RM8qtqPaZN1q+DGQV
    h2dgIyEw5NYkwTGOP+FA
    =0bcF
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    cabernet wrote:

    >
    > Our Internet Service Provider has made provision for free downloads
    > after 12pm. Data downloaded during the early hours of the morning is not
    > recorded against my account.
    > This begs the question of the availability of tools to download at set
    > times.Has anyone seen or heard of software to do this ? I had a look at
    > kget but it does not seem to have this functionality.
    >
    >

    ditto - my ISP gives unmetered access between midnight and 8:00 am.

    I ended up writing a set of scripts to rsync local copies of update, kde and
    Qt etc. running under cron during the 'free' period.

    Alan


  6. #6

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    Thanks all. Had a look at the "at" command

    It looks like a simple means of doing the job of downloading after hours. It should work nicely with wget. I will give it a try.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    NB it would be nice if someone was able to build this feature into kwget, as this is being pushed as major downloading tool for kde4.

  8. #8
    JosephKK NNTP User

    Default Re: Set the time for a download to commence.

    On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:56:02 GMT, cabernet
    <cabernet@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    >NB it would be nice if someone was able to build this feature into
    >kwget, as this is being pushed as major downloading tool for kde4.


    Except that would be anathema to *nix way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •