Thread: Linux Data Recovery

Default Linux Data Recovery

Dear all,
    Please i need any package or software to recover some deleted data for me.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Linux Data Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by elkhedewy View Post
    Dear all,
    Please i need any package or software to recover some deleted data for me.

Any ideas?
    After a quick google i've found this article:
    Data Recovery on Linux and <i>ext3</i>
    It seems to be easy if you have just a few files.
    Hope that helps.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

lets hope you don't use XFS as file system. It's really hard to get your data back on this FS, unless you go to pros and pay $$$

Thank you for this useful topic
    but i didn't get the files that i need

Your other option is ext3grep on webpin, but if the drive has been written to then it is feasible that it's beyond recovery.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Post Re: Linux Data Recovery

The dls tool mentioned at the above referenced link Data Recovery on Linux and <i>ext3</i> is part of the sleuthkit package, so you will need that if you wish to attempt the manual recovery steps as per that article.

I would first however suggest making an image of the partition (or entire drive) to a safe partition, etc. You can create an image file or a partition just by using dd and then mount that virtual file system and attempt recovery of you data that way - NOTE: ensure you safe this file to a partition that A) Has enough room and B) Does not contain any data you need to recovery - once it is over written, it is basically gone.

Once you have the image made I would highly recommend sleuthkit - have it scan the image an recover the files for you. If you can, try to use the config file and narrow down the types of files you want it to attempt recovery on. As a file carving tool it will inspect headers and footers and attempt to piece together the rest of the data structure.

Last time I used it as I recall I had to specify the config file to use with an option, it did not for some reason automatically use the config in /etc/

Good hunting.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    lets hope you don't use XFS as file system. It's really hard to get your data back on this FS, unless you go to pros and pay $$$
    I wonder why XFS is the default in 13.2?
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Quote Originally Posted by jetchisel View Post
    I wonder why XFS is the default in 13.2?
    That is a good question, over the years I have found XFS to be *extremely* unreliable and almost impossible to properly recover.

I personally think it's going to become a massive black eye for openSUSE in the future, and a very dangerous thing.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Please,when a spammer posts to such an old thread, do not post there, but report as spam (the white ! in the black triangle below the post).

This thread s CLOSED now.
    Henk van Velden