Thread: Which repository should I use to keep KDE 3.5 up to date?

Default Which repository should I use to keep KDE 3.5 up to date?

I am using Opensuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5, I heard that KDE 3.5 will not be officially supported, but I still prefer 3.5 over 4.x, and I found a website:

KDE/Repositories - openSUSE

which has 3.5 repositories, but there are three:

KDE Backports

Single KDE applications from openSUSE Factory, which got packaged for released distributions. You do not need to update your KDE as well, but you can do so, because KDE 3.x is forward compatible. These packages are maintained by the KDE Team.

KDE Core Packages

This is the latest KDE 3.x from openSUSE Factory packaged for released distributions. These packages are maintained by the KDE Team.
    KDE Community

Contains KDE 3.x and Qt 3.x applications which are not part of openSUSE distributions, but get packaged by some friendly openSUSE community packagers.
    What are their differences? Which one should I use? I don't need bleeding edge, I only want stable ones with updates.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which repository should I use to keep KDE 3.5 up to date

Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Why are we recommending build service to users that don't understand the difference.

Build service != update

If you're looking for official updates they will always come through the update channels. If you're looking for any development on the KDE then Core is the correct one.

In fact the not backports is probably more wrong, why backports are fixed to work without upgrading KDE it even says it...
    Backports..
    You do not need to update your KDE as well, but you can do so, because KDE 3.x is forward compatible
    Core...
    This is the latest KDE 3.x from openSUSE Factory packaged for released distributions
    So which one of those 2 is going to proceed to change the whole of KDE?
    At least both are packaged by the Suse KDE team.. I would recommend both of those over community.

Edit..
    KDE core will have newer packages where in the tree look at kdelibs.. but with development on KDE4 I wouldn't expect much.. (Comparing the base we have 3.5.10-17.4 vs 3.5.10-101.1 so not a lot)

Backports will have packages that can be backported, going on the description it should work with the standard KDE3 but will include new bits.

Community self explanatory..
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

If you want the best chance of stability, I would use KDE Backports repo to get a newer package version in precedence over Core or Community. I haven't had problems with any of the backports I installed from that repo, but I only chose to do so for real need, not "I think I might need it".

If you can try the addition first on a test m/c or partition, then you can take more risks.