Thread: Booting after adding hard drives

Default Booting after adding hard drives

After adding two hard drives to my computer, when I boot into SUSE 11.1, my home partition on a previously second drive can not be found and I am booted to a command line login. I suspect that this is because the new hard drives have changed the order of my hard disks and that the /etc/fstab file which previously pointed to /dev/sdbn now points elsewhere.

The solution appears to be either to use the "LABEL=" or "UUID=" tags in my /etc/fstab file. Does Suse 11.1 support either or both of these methods for specifying the disk partition ?

Default Re: Booting after adding hard drives

It supports them all as far as I'm aware.
    The simplest and perhaps the quickest is to go into yast partitioner and change it there iirc it will write a correct fstab for you.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    It supports them all as far as I'm aware.
    The simplest and perhaps the quickest is to go into yast partitioner and change it there iirc it will write a correct fstab for you.
    What is the program equivalent to "yast partitioner" and can it be run from the command line once I login from the command line as administrator ? The alternative I
    was considering is to login from the command line as administrator and edit the /etc/fstab with a command line editor, perhaps "vi", then reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
    What is the program equivalent to "yast partitioner" and can it be run from the command line once I login from the command line as administrator
    Tha equivalent is the yast partitioner after running yast from the command line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
    The solution appears to be either to use the "LABEL=" or "UUID=" tags in my /etc/fstab file. Does Suse 11.1 support either or both of these methods for specifying the disk partition ?
    Yes, you can use the old syntax LABEL=something or the new udev syntax that names the partition /dev/disk/by-label/something, similarly for UUID.