Thread: kde "4.2" system tray icons missing OpenSUSE 11.1 Retro

Thumbs down kde "4.2" system tray icons missing OpenSUSE 11.1 Retro

I installed OpenSUSE 11.1 RETRO with 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2) "release 114". The bottom default panel has the "system tray application" running with a group of default loaded applications in this system tray". These default applications are the KNetworkManager, the Volume control, the Update Manager and Klipper. These applications all have a black rectangular box instead of their application icon. Anyone know how I can get the the applications to display their icons in this "system tray application" on the default, bottom KDE panel?

Default Re: kde "4.2" system tray icons missing OpenSUSE 11.1 Retro

Hi, if I understood you correctly, then it's a well know issue in kde 4.2 check Taskbar doesn't refresh properly - openSUSE Forums, I gues the only way is waiting for kde 4.3 official release, which will be out in july,

Oh, ok thank you. I thought it was only me that was having this problem. We will see if the July upgrade helps. Thanks again.

Although, I did have openSUSE 11.1 with kde 4.1.3 installed and I didn't have a this taskbar problem. When I did a fresh install of openSUSE 11.1 RETRO with 4.2.2 release 114 then the taskbar problem em-merged.

I also have a copy of openSUSE 11.2 and when I installed it as a fresh copy there isn't a taskbar problem. The only problem with openSUSE 11.2 is it doesn't have repository support third partys like packman so I can not modify the codecs for MP3 support with K3B , so I went back to openSUSE 11.1.

> I installed OpenSUSE 11.1 RETRO with 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2) "release 114".
    > The bottom default panel has the "system tray application" running with
    > a group of default loaded applications in this system tray". These
    > default applications are the *KNetworkManager*, the *Volume* control,
    > the *Update Manager* and *Klipper*. These applications all have a
    > *black rectangular box *instead of their application icon. Anyone know
    > how I can get the the applications to display their icons in this
    > "system tray application" on the default, bottom KDE panel?

Update to KDE 4.2.3

Red face Re: kde "4.2" system tray icons missing OpenSUSE 11.1 Retro

Thank you "arcull". I re-installed openSUSE 11.1 with KDA 4.1.3.

I finally figured out how to get openSUSE to upgrade to 4.3 KDE, I had to tell the software online update to update unconditionally under the package section and then SUSE updated to the newer KDE 4.3 version.

Before today I could not figure out how to get SUSE to update to the next KDE version.

It is a terrible addiction always wanting the new bright and shiny and free.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave

Had the same issue in KDE 4.1.3, Opensuse 11.1. Although this may not work in all cases, I managed to fix it and thought it might be useful to share what I did here.

I opened SaX2 and accessed the Graphics Card Settings window (click the Options... button right of your card model), and at the bottom of the list selected XVideo. I then clicked OK and pressed control + alt + backspace two times to restart the renderer. After I logged in the tray icons displayed again (black edges still there but at least they show).
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

changimeno NNTP User

I tried everything that has been posted in this forum. i have opensuse 11.1 and updated KDE to version 4.2.4. The System Tray problem showed up after an old "distribution update". I was hopping that at a certain point, a new update would fix the problem, but i didn't get it fixed until i followed your instructions. Thanks!!! It really works, even if you are using different KDE versions. I guess, it should have something to do with the initialization of some parameters after the double "C-M-backspace".

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Had the same issue in KDE 4.1.3, Opensuse 11.1. Although this may not work in all cases, I managed to fix it and thought it might be useful to share what I did here.

I opened SaX2 and accessed the Graphics Card Settings window (click the Options... button right of your card model), and at the bottom of the list selected XVideo. I then clicked OK and pressed control + alt + backspace two times to restart the renderer. After I logged in the tray icons displayed again (black edges still there but at least they show).