Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Gnome 2.26 observations

Default Upgrade to Gnome 2.26 observations

Upgraded to Gnome 2.26 today and noticed....

Gnome Terminal no longer works. Click and watch spinning icon for a while then nothing. Upgraded to the latest Gnome terminal version, same results. Worked fine prior to the upgrade. X term continues to work.

Windows now have unseen title bar icons. In other words, everything on the title bar is invisible. Close, Minimize and Maximize still work when mouse is pointed to correct location on the bar, but the "X", etc are no longer visible. I've tried several themes. All give same results. Other parts of windows look OK; menu bar, etc.

All the other stuff I've tried seems OK, but I haven't tried everything, it's only been an hour or so since the upgrade.

I'll keep poking around. OpenSUSE v11.1 btw.

Default Re: Upgrade to Gnome 2.26 observations

Sounds more like some parts of your installation did not properly upgrade.

Have you zypper ref && zypper ve'd?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Sounds more like some parts of your installation did not properly upgrade.

Have you zypper ref && zypper ve'd?
    No problems reported with the above command.

I guess I'll blow up my GNOME installation, not that I really ever use it.

Which address/repo did you upgrade from?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I guess I'll blow up my GNOME installation, not that I really ever use it.

Which address/repo did you upgrade from?
    The ones listed here: GNOME/2.26 - openSUSE

Found this today after poking around looking for what was installed with the Gnome upgrade to v2.6.

While reading about GNOME-desktop, see below. I have no idea if this is related to what happened after I installed v2.6 but I did notice the "Use them at your own risk" comment.

gnome-desktop
    This package contains the libgnome-desktop library that contains APIs that really belong in libgnome/libgnomeui but have not seen enough testing or development to be considered stable. Use them at your own risk.
    Also contained here are documents installed as part of the core GNOME distribution: the GPL, GNOME's .desktop files, the gnome-about program, some man pages, and GNOME's core graphics files and icons.

Also don't know if other stuff that was installed could/might have caused the problems.

I'll spend a bit more time poking around, but would like to know if there is a how-to on downgrading from Gnome 2.6 to 2.4.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by gudewdl View Post
    Found this today after poking around looking for what was installed with the Gnome upgrade to v2.6.

While reading about GNOME-desktop, see below. I have no idea if this is related to what happened after I installed v2.6 but I did notice the "Use them at your own risk" comment.

gnome-desktop
    This package contains the libgnome-desktop library that contains APIs that really belong in libgnome/libgnomeui but have not seen enough testing or development to be considered stable. Use them at your own risk.
    Also contained here are documents installed as part of the core GNOME distribution: the GPL, GNOME's .desktop files, the gnome-about program, some man pages, and GNOME's core graphics files and icons.

Also don't know if other stuff that was installed could/might have caused the problems.

I'll spend a bit more time poking around, but would like to know if there is a how-to on downgrading from Gnome 2.6 to 2.4.

TIA
    This GNOME release is somewhere on the way for GNOME 3. They are started to change some features - this screwed up some settings but OK. These bugs are reported you can track them here:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493750.
    If you have problem with the programs make sure that the GNOME 2.26 repos have highest priority than the others - lower number means higher priority!
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ram88 View Post
    This GNOME release is somewhere on the way for GNOME 3. They are started to change some features - this screwed up some settings but OK. These bugs are reported you can track them here:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=493750.
    If you have problem with the programs make sure that the GNOME 2.26 repos have highest priority than the others - lower number means higher priority!
    Checked the bug list and there was one that reported problems with Gnome Terminal and themes, both of which I noticed. It was suggested that updating to the latest version of gtk2 fixed things. I had updated to what I thought the latest version (2.16.1-1.9) -- no help. All the gtk2 stuff I have are dated mid to late May, so I assume that's fairly current. Also noticed another note on this same topic here w/similar results. I guess I'll keep looking for another release of the gtk2 kit.

Checked the bug list and there was one that reported problems with Gnome Terminal and themes, both of which I noticed. It was suggested that updating to the latest version of gtk2 fixed things. I had updated to what I thought the latest version (2.16.1-1.9) -- no help. All the gtk2 stuff I have are dated mid to late May, so I assume that's fairly current. Also noticed another note on this same topic here w/similar results. I guess I'll keep looking for another release of the gtk2 kit.
    There was another GNOME update - yesterday. Maybe the problems were fixed. I'll update tomorrow - I'll also report if there were any changes in the bugs listed on bugzilla.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

TIA
    I'm having similar problems - had to upgrade to 2.26 to get Compiz to work with Emerald (see Wiki hereabouts - which worked but then updated something else and now have all kinds of issues: no terminal, no SUSE menu (plain Gnome menu works when added to panel), etc.
    So how to get back to 2.24 (I can always deal with Compiz later)? Zypper something I expect?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast