Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox USB grey

Unhappy VirtualBox USB grey

Hello,

I have installed the new VirtualBox 2.2 on my 11.1 system.

The visualization works, but the preselected usb devices are disabled(grey) when I start an OS.

What can I do? I've searched, but no answer.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: VirtualBox USB grey

Those Pics are not much use, post the BB code which should give us a thumb to click and bring up the original.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by neonlex View Post
    Hello,

I have installed the new VirtualBox 2.2 on my 11.1 system...
    Hi,
    Same as @caf4926 (Pictures too small to read).

What version if any (e.g. 2.1.4) did you have before? Did you upgrade or do clean install of virtualbox? If you upgraded, was usb working on previous release?

Your search failed, but there are some very recent threads and older ones in this forum about usb problems. Try searching on "virtualbox" alone.

Different solutions have worked in various situations. More information about yours and what you tried before failure may help us find the right one for your system.

Sorry,

the pictures only say that I've selected USB devices and then I can't select them in running mode.

No, I installed it clear without any upgrade. I's the version from the virtualbox.org site. Not the OSE without usb support.

Ok, I don't need the pictures. I would like you to try starting VirtualBox from Konsole as root (su and respond with root password). Then do your thing with usb, and test it through to guest os.

Post back here with the result either way. Thanks...

I tested it.

I't works, I can select the usb devices, but the guest OS doasn't work and my OS doasn't work. My mouse an keyboard is still caught into the guest OS.

You should be able to uncapture the mouse and keyboard by pressing the control key to the right of your keyboard (referred to as the host key in virtualbox).

So it works if you start as root, but we need to get it working for your normal user, but first please confirm success or not with uncapturing the mouse etc.

No, I cannot capturer the mouse. If I press any key, nothing works. I't looks like the keyboard and mouse do nothing.

Everytime I test this, I must restart.

Ok, but restart as normal user and make sure the guest works well, before trying to get usb working. If you haven't read the FAQ and familiarized yourself with the excellent user manual available from the virtualbox site, I recommend you do that now.

I don't know which guest OS you have, but did you see the usb device mounted in the guest? What type of usb device is it? What guest OS?

No, if I use normal user than the OS and guest OS works, but no USB.
    If I use root from console, than my OS crashes and the guest OS doasn't start. But I can select for 1-2sec all my usb devices.

My guest OS is win vista and my usb devices are: usb sticks, usb hard drives an usb headset.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast