Thread: Temporary system freeze

holgerschlegel NNTP User

Default Temporary system freeze

I'm running an openSUSE 11.1 x64 and kde 4.2 from the openSUSE repos.

If working with it, it happens that the system freezes for 1-2 seconds. During that freeze, even the mouse cursor does not move. After the freeze, all mouse and keyboard actions (including clicks) that I did during the freeze are executed. Then I can continue using my system normally.

If I only write text (like now), I get very few (1 in 2 hours) such freezes. But if I use DosBox to play an old game (MOO2), it can happen about every 5 minutes. I've not notices a regular interval, so it may first freeze 2 times in 5 minutes and than 20 minutes later again.

I've search /var/log/messages but no lines are added during or near that freeze.

Any ideas where to look or how to solve that?

Default Re: Temporary system freeze

Don't only look at /var/log/messages, also take a peek at dmesg when the freeze happens.

somebody_else NNTP User

> Any ideas where to look or how to solve that?

turn off or uninstall beagle..

--
    decorated_warrior

holgerschlegel NNTP User

I've uninstalled beagle, but the freezes still happen.

I don't understand how dmesg could help to solve the problem? According to its man page, dmesg print boot messages. Can you give me some details on that?

It collects I/O errors hotplugging etc .. as well dmesg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You could also run a batch top and save it out and review it after a freeze.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

As Feathermonkey posted, it also collects interrupt errors and/or other problems - it can help you debug the issue, for example if there is a device i/o error (reading problems or bugs in the firmware/drivers) and thus it 'freezes' the entire machine.