Thread: Is it compulsory to be fisrt HD

Default Is it compulsory to be fisrt HD

hey guys i once used opensuse but due to some issues i had to go for xp

can any one tell me is it compulsory to keep opensuse partitioned HD should be the primary or any suggestions to keep it second and run it

Default Re: Is it compulsory to be fisrt HD

There is no such constraint.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

u usually boot to my second hard disk by clicking f10 while startup screen..... will that work for linux.. because it would have fdisk info as sda and sdb .. so if i install it on sdb then will be accessible by the process i said above

What "startup screen" do you hit F10 in? If it's BIOS, that has nothing to do with the OS subsequently loaded. If it's Windows, it will obviously not work in Linux.
    The thing to use is GRUB. Properly installed, it can run Linux off the second HD (assuming Windows is on the first).

yeah i was saying about bios

any way thanks for ur help....
    i lost my confusion after recieving ur help

If you have the facility to press F10 and choose the hard disk boot device from BIOS, it will work for Linux too. You may try installing Linux on the second driver and see.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 10:56 +0000, momofooze wrote:
    > hey guys i once used opensuse but due to some issues i had to go for xp
    >
    > can any one tell me is it compulsory to keep opensuse partitioned HD
    > should be the primary or any suggestions to keep it second and run it
    >
    >

Because openSUSE's (unlike Windows) grub bootloader is tolerant of other
    OS's, about the only "limitation" (if you can call it that) is to let
    openSUSE own the boot manager... not saying you can use XP's or some
    3rd part one... just think grub is sufficient and convenient.

With regards to where openSUSE actually installs... that can be on
    ANY drive, again, unlike Windows where there will be MANY issues if
    XP isn't on the primary drive or you haven't done bios remapping
    to fake it out.

Blog Entries

There are actually two issues.

Where to put the bootloader. Obviously when the computer boots, it has to go for the primary boot sector on the first disk. (We'll ignore things like fallback boot sectors for RAID disks etc for now.) So you end up using GRUB or the Windows bootloader. GRUB of course works find booting many OSes and you can even chain to more GRUBs on partition boot sectors, etc. I believe it is possible to use the Windows bootloader to boot Linux by chaining to a GRUB bootloader in a partition, but I've never wanted or needed to do this, GRUB works fine for me. Swerdna may know more about Windows bootloaders.

Assuming you are using GRUB, the second issue is where the other bootloader files and the OS image live. Because at this point you have no OS loaded, everything must be read via BIOS calls. So the BIOS limits where these files can be. Generally most BIOSes can read from the first two disks, some even more and other devices are also possible. So it a pretty safe bet that you can put the /boot directory on the first or second disks.

There is one more issue and that is BIOSes may have a limit on how far into the disk they can read. As BIOSes get more recent the limit gets raised. In there distant past there was a 1023 cylinder limit, the reason for a separate /boot sector at the front of the disk with old computers and in the more recent past a 137GB ATA interface limit. I haven't heard much about this lately so I guess they raised the limit again with extensions. I'm sure if I look there will be some explanation of how the parameters of the BIOS read calls was widened to more bits. Anyway the installer should automatically detect the situation for you.

I'm using EasyBCD to dual-boot Vista and SUSE but I've forgotten why I prefer that to Grub, I suppose it's because I started off in Windows and was nervous :-)
    One advantage I can remember is that it's easier to restore the Vista bootloader when needed. The disadvantage, of course, is that you have to run Vista to configure it.