Thread: Mirror Network

Default Mirror Network

Good Evening,

during installation/update of huge packagesets from the download.opensuse.org mirror network I often get connection errors like:

Connection failed
    Could not connect to host

After hitting retry, update process continues.

This is definitely not a problem with my internet connection.

It would also be great to have some additional information how the mirror network works. Is every package fetched from a different mirror, or is it connection based e.g.?

Best Regards
    Marcus

Default Re: Mirror Network

Okay, that sounds as if every request is handled separately, so it may happen that every single package is downloaded from a different mirror (correct me if I am wrong).

For me, it is still not clear what causes the timeouts. Is it because of broken mirrors? Shouldn't the periodic check detect and mark/flag them?

How can I debug this issue?

Best Regards
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusMoeller
    For me, it is still not clear what causes the timeouts. Is it because of broken mirrors? Shouldn't the periodic check detect and mark/flag them?
    Some of the cases of 'timeouts' may not necessarily appear to all users, some of them may be ISP routing related (as such only affecting certain % of users) and/or may have to do with periodic issues at their end which are only intermittent and again may only last a few seconds / minutes.

Maybe you are right but the situation is very unsatisfying (and never had these problems with other networks, e.g. Fedora).

ATM I have to monitor updates to click 'retry' after a timeout.

Is there a way to define the timeout value or set something like auto-retry?

Also I would prefer a session-based mirror network instead of 'per request'.

Best Regards
    Marcus

Have you disabled ipv6?
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.