messed up file associations

opensuse 11.0 KDE 3.59
I usually have to just double click on a file created in KWrite or Mousepad to open it, but lately I only get a window that opens and asks me to choose which application I want to open it with. The file always opens ok, under whichever application I choose KWrite or Mousepad]. I don’t know what has changed, nothing that I did that I am aware of, but I would like to change it back to the double click method of opening it.

I have tried to do this by right clicking on the file and choosing Properties and Tools and changing the association there. I notice that the “file type” in the properties is listed as unknown and as often as I change the file patterns in Properties > Tools >Create New FileType > General window it is always blank when I return to it.

Also, by going into Configure Desktop>KDE Components>File Associations and changing it there, but to no avail.
When I go to >Configure Desktop>KDE Components>File Associations, I cannot find Kwrite or Mousepad listed there. They were always listed before.

This has happened on both my machines and they are running Opensuse 11.0 and KDE 3.59

Is there somewhere else I should be changing these associations?
Or perhaps some repair I need to do?

Also, of late, I am getting the following error msg when I open >Configure Desktop>KDE Components>File Associations

Could not find mime type application/octet-stream

I just click on the OK at the bottom and it opens Configure Desktop. This may be occurring because I have messed around wwith the file associations, trying to fix it.

When you right click - properties - click the spanner
In the next box should be a list of applications to which you can add, delete or move up or down in the list.
For .txt set kwrite at top of list - apply.

Hello caf4926 ty for reply.

I have tried to do this by right clicking on the file and choosing Properties and Tools**[SPANNER]** and changing the association there. I notice that the “file type” in the properties is listed as unknown and as often as I change the file patterns in Properties > Tools***[SPANNER]*** >Create New FileType > General window. It is always blank when I return to it.

Please read above. I have tried your suggestion and it doesn’t work. It was one of the 1st things I did. Sry if I didn’t explain this clearly. Somehow, my changing it is not being saved.