Thread: Keyboard inoperative in KDE4

baz99 NNTP User

Default Keyboard inoperative in KDE4

I installed openSUSE 11.1 with KDE4. The initial login was normal and I then set up my detailed video options from within KDE. After restarting the xserver everything was fine. However when I now log in to KDE the keyboard doesn't work at all.
    It seems to be a KDE4 issue because if I log out using the mouse (which is absolutely fine) the keyboard still works on the logon screen so kdm isn't a problem, and if I drop to a tty logon all is completely normal as well.
    I'm using a usb keyboard so I tried a ps2 keyboard which gives identical results.
    As the keyboard worked in KDE4 on the initial installation login I copied the original xorg.conf back, but that also results in a completely non-functioning keyboard.
    I've tried removing all detail from the input devices sections in xorg.conf, removing the keyboard and mouse devices (keyboard is /dev/gpmdata which doesn't seem to exist), and putting in an option in the keyboard section to stop evdev. None made any difference - all fine on a tty and kdm logon screen, and keyboard completely unresponsive in KDE4 with the mouse normal.
    If I log on to icewm instead of KDE4 the keyboard is fine.
    When in KDE4 the keyboard is recognised, using an event character device in /dev/input, with the keyboard name/type linked to it in /dev/input/by-id
    My mobo is an ASUS G43/ICH10 with an Intel core2duo 7400 cpu and 4GB memory. I'm using the onboard Intel GMA4500 graphics with the intel driver.
    I could remove KDE4 and install KDE 3.5 (which works perfectly on Debian on this machine), but taking a look at KDE4 was part of the reason for installing openSUSE so I'd like to sort this if I can.

Thanks

Barrie

Default Re: Keyboard inoperative in KDE4

I had the same keyboard problem after an update. I found that Slow Keys had been enabled in the System Settings.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Keyboard inoperative in KDE4

What happens if you create a new user, and login as that user?

If the keyboard works for the new user, it's not in KDE4, but somewhere in your settings. In that case you can recreate your KDE4 configuration folder. This means the settings of KDE apps will have to be copied from saved folder, or recreated. If that's what you want, do this from the new account:
    Open a terminal window (replace YOURUSERNAME by the your normal username)
    type: su YOURUSERNAME
    Enter your password
    type: cd /home/YOURUSERNAME/
    type: mv .kde4 .kde4.saved
    type: mv .config .config.saved
    Now logout and login as the normal user. You should have a working desktop and keyboard now.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht