opensuse 11.1: online update not working

I am running OS 11.1, x86-64.

Recently I’ve had trouble running online update. I’ve found various posts about this by others, so it seems like a somewhat recurring theme. Anyway, as of now, I rebooted, logged in a root, went to Yast2 -> Online Update, and I get a dialog box saying

No active update repo. available
Exit online update now?

I say yes, goto yast -> Online Update Configuration.

Current Update Repository:
(none)

The Set Default button is greyed out.

Beforehand, I went to software repos and disabled everything except

download.opensuse.org/update/11.1

which is named: Main Update Repository

So I can’t seem to select an update repo! What is to be done?

Thanks,
David

In a terminal do:

zypper lr --details

post result

Hi,

Here it is!

linux-4ks5:~ # zypper lr --details

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±------------------±--------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | NVIDIA Repository | NVIDIA Repository | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1 |
2 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | No | No | 100 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
3 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | No | No | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss |
4 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | No | No | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
5 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | No | No | 100 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss |
6 | repo-update | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.1 |
7 | repo_1 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.1 |
8 | repo_3 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Community | No | No | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.1 |
linux-4ks5:~ #

On a related note:

linux-4ks5:/usr/share/man # zypper lu
Building repository ‘Main Update Repository’ cache [done]
Error building the cache:
‘repo2solv.sh’ ‘-o’ ‘/var/cache/zypp/solv/repo-update/solv’ ‘/var/cache/zypp/raw/repo-update’

gzip: deltainfo.xml.gz: invalid compressed data–format violated
repo_updateinfoxml: mismatched tag at line 3676:75

Warning: Disabling repository ‘Main Update Repository’ because of the above error.
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
No updates found.
linux-4ks5:/usr/share/man #

You should never login as root.

As user, try Yast Software Repositories
see if you can delete them all

Then try adding them back, just the 3 main ones, updates, oss, non-oss
when done leave this.

Then for good measure do this from a terminal

sudo rpmdb --rebuilddb

Now try Yast Software Management
If it works report back.

I was able to delete all my repos. I added just the update repo, clicked OK. It downloaded a few files. Then it got thru ‘refresh metdata’, but died in ‘rebuild cache’. It gave me the following dialog box:

Well, I took a screenshot but can’t figure out how to attach it…

Might it be that there’s an error in the files on the repo?

Screenshots are best done via the likes of: ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

The repo’s seem fine. it’s more likely you screwed up.

OK, here’s a screencap:

ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Is it safe to rm -rf /var/cache/zypp/ ? some subdirs of this? I don’t want opensuse to ‘forget’ the state of the system, like what rpm’s are installed…

Thanks,
Dave

Is it safe to rm -rf /var/cache/zypp/ ? some subdirs of this? I don’t want opensuse to ‘forget’ the state of the system, like what rpm’s are installed…

It should be. But I’m not totally sure. Cache file will normally re-create themselves as you use whatever creates them.

OK, I clear out /var/cache/zypp, and then did “register now and get support” (or somesuch) in yast -> online update config. And lo, it worked! I did updates, and (almost) all is well.

If I now go into online update config, it says ‘none’ under current update repo. What is up with that? I can run online update, and there are even a few updates there (I guess posted today).

Dave

Forget Online Update Config.
I don’t use the updater applet in the sys tray either - I just use Software Management - Filter by Repo and select the channels I want to update.
Or if you like the updater applet, fine - or just use Online Update, no need to use the config.