Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install webcam

Default install webcam

Hi:
    I installed linux (suse 11 gnome) 2 days ago but I cant install my webcam (quickcam messenger plus). Please, could you help me step to step? I dont know almost anything about suse.
    Thank you.

Default Re: install webcam

Well first of all you need to add the webcam repo. Start Yast and at the software section click Software Repostories. There add from the community repostories the openSUSE BuildService - Drivers for webcams repo.

Next check this page: Linux UVC driver & tools and see if your webcam is supported.

If it is then in Software Management install the uvcvideo webcam driver(just do a search for webcam) which is appropiate for your kernel flavor( uname -r in terminal gives you the kernel type).

If it's not then try it anyway, if it doesn't work then try some of the other drivers in the list.
    Respect the penguin!

Quote Originally Posted by zolistir87 View Post
    Well first of all you need to add the webcam repo. Start Yast and at the software section click Software Repostories. There add from the community repostories the openSUSE BuildService - Drivers for webcams repo.

Next check this page: Linux UVC driver & tools and see if your webcam is supported.

If it is then in Software Management install the uvcvideo webcam driver(just do a search for webcam) which is appropiate for your kernel flavor( uname -r in terminal gives you the kernel type).

If it's not then try it anyway, if it doesn't work then try some of the other drivers in the list.
    Hi. Thank you for your help. I added the drivers from comunity repostories but i dont know how can it configure. Moreover i search my webcam in the list but it wasnt. What can i do...
    Thank you for all.

Well you need only one. The uvcvideo driver will work for most cases. About configuring well I don't really know. Try configuring it from the software with which you will use it. Install luvcview to see if it works:
    Code:
    sudo zypper install luvcview
    Respect the penguin!

i installed it as you told me without any mistake, but i try to connect it in amsn and it says me that there's no cam. what can i do?

In this web Quickcam Messenger & Communicate driver for Linux i download the driver but i dont know how i install it? i need help... is very difficult linux...

Did a bit of searching and it seems that you can download the driver you need from here: http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

Install instructions you can find in the readme file.

Does it work? If not some terminal output could help.
    Respect the penguin!

i downloaded gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz but i dont know how can i install.. linux is more difficult than windows... is very very very dificult to install a simple driver... help pleaseee I run the file read and install but it dissapear

Generally it isn't difficult, there are however some cases, such as this where drivers can cause problems. Before continuing, you seem like a new linux user, just wanted to make sure if you tried all the drivers(only one installed at a time) from the repos?

To unzip the archive type: tar -xvzf archive_name in terminal. Then in the folder created, there should be a readme file. You don't run this file, you have to view it. Try viewing in Midnight Commander(mc). Try installing it without the compilation part, some build command if I recall correctly(it's in the readme), if not then hope someone else will come up with a solution.
    Respect the penguin!

i didn't try the drivers, i installed what they told me but i don't know how to execute them. could you tell me how to do it step by step? i'm new in linux (3 days ago), so i need that you explain me all the details, please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast