Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share firefox profile between opensuse and windows xp

Question Share firefox profile between opensuse and windows xp

Hi!

I try to use the same firefox/thunderbird profile in opensuse and in windows, but if i give the windows profile to the suse firefox, it says to me: "profile is already used/ firefox is already running " Is there any workaroud for this?
    Btw the profile sharing works well with ubuntu. I use opensuse 11.1 kde4 reloaded and the installer mounted my windows partition to /windows/c

Thanks

Default Re: Share firefox profile between opensuse and windows xp

I've never done it but can't see why it wouldn't work you could create a symlink..

So you symlink the ones on /home to the ones on /windows/C
    man ln
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Default Share firefox profile between opensuse and windows xp

I tried the symlink method, and it didn't work. I look around a little, and only the owner (root) can read and write the mounted windows partitions, the group and the others only can read. I tried to change the permissions and later the ownership but i can't. Neither in Dolphin nor in the console. Any idea ?

pasja

Default Share firefox profile between opensuse and windows xp

I've changed the /etc/fstab options, so i can now read/write the partition and set the firefox to that profile. But it don't bring my extensions I need to work on that.

use the Firefox FEBE extension, schedule it to backup on browser shutdown to your mounted windows partition. Config it on both your linux and windows installs of firefox.

Then you can one-click recover your FEBE backup, and your backups are auto created.

Not automatic, but one click is as close as you're going to get.

Thanks ! That's a good idea. I used this extension earlier, but i forgot it totally

Quote Originally Posted by Blah99 View Post
    use the Firefox FEBE extension, schedule it to backup on browser shutdown to your mounted windows partition. Config it on both your linux and windows installs of firefox.

Then you can one-click recover your FEBE backup, and your backups are auto created.

Not automatic, but one click is as close as you're going to get.
    Are you sure about that?

I just came across this thread, looking for a solution to my problem. I'm trying out openSUSE, in a dual boot system with Windows XP. Like the original poster, I, too, am trying to share a Firefox profile between the two operating systems. I have set up openSUSE to have automatic read/write access to my NTFS partition upon startup. My openSUSE version of Firefox is pointing to the Firefox profile on my Windows partition. However, when I try to open Firefox within openSUSE, I see the message "Firefox is already running, but is not responding."

I had this same problem with Ubuntu.

However...I had a dual boot configuration for a while with Windows XP and PCLinuxOS. The PCLinuxOS version of Firefox was able to use my Windows Firefox profile and to start with no difficulty, giving me Firefox with all the bookmarks and settings I had set up in Windows; no extra configuration was needed.

This tells me that there must be a way to do this in openSUSE as well. However, so far I have been unable either to figure out how to do it or to find a solution online.

Being able to share profiles between Windows and Linux versions of Firefox and Thunderbird is one of my most important criteria for evaluating a Linux distribution. If I can't get this sorted out, I'm afraid that openSUSE, for all its other apparent virtues, will have to make a hasty exit from my computer. Any help would be appreciated!

Blog Entries

It's much easier:

Edit the profile.ini in the .mozilla folders and point it to the place of you windu mozilla folders. Mind, you windu folders have to be on a read/write mounted partition.
    This way, both linux and the windu versions write their data in the same files. The suggested way makes it very easy to sync the wrong way around with unwanted results.

Please copy your .mozilla and windu equivalents before you start experimenting. If all works, still backup.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    It's much easier:

Edit the profile.ini in the .mozilla folders and point it to the place of you windu mozilla folders. Mind, you windu folders have to be on a read/write mounted partition.
    This way, both linux and the windu versions write their data in the same files. The suggested way makes it very easy to sync the wrong way around with unwanted results.

Please copy your .mozilla and windu equivalents before you start experimenting. If all works, still backup.
    Thanks, Knurpht. I'll try this when I get home from work, and will post the results.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the suggested way," or how it "makes it very easy to sync the wrong way around." I used Firefox's Profile Manager (in Linux) to select my Windows Firefox profile. Again, this worked flawlessly for me in PCLinuxOS, but not in openSUSE or Ubuntu. Nonetheless, I'll try editing my openSUSE Firefox profile.ini file, as you suggest.

Knurpht, thank you again for your suggestion. However, I opened the profiles.ini file associated with my openSUSE version of Firefox, and found that, as I suspected, it is already pointing to the correct Firefox profile (the one on my Windows XP partition).

Any further suggestions regarding possible causes of the "Firefox is already running" error that I am experiencing in openSuse, and steps I might be able to take to prevent further occurrences of this error, would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast