Thread: Screensaver runs for about a second

Default Screensaver runs for about a second

I have both KDE 4.2.3 and KDE 4.3 Beta 1 installed on different partitions. In System Settings > Desktop, I have it set so the screensaver is supposed to come on after 7 minutes of idle time and use random screensavers.

The screensavers on both versions of KDE exhibit the same behavior. That is, after 7 minutes, the screensaver comes on for about one second, then the screen goes blank. I can test any of the screensavers from within the system settings and they work fine and the thumbnail shows the random screensavers changing from one to the other.

Anyone else getting this or know how I can get the screensavers to run longer? TIA.

Edit: I'm using nvidia 180.51 if that is relevant.

somebody_else NNTP User

Default Re: Screensaver runs for about a second

my experience is to NOT use random screen savers....because there is
    almost always ONE screen saver that when you try to run it it will
    *sometimes* lock up the machine (or the screen goes blank, or the
    video goes CRAZY, or something strange)...

so, *pick one* screen saver and just stick with it for a week or
    month..and then pick another one....if you run into one which locks up
    YOUR machine, then delete it...

"YOUR machine" because that particular screen saver might run fine on
    all other machines in the world, almost..

ymmv

--
    decorated_warrior

because there is almost always ONE screen saver that when you try to run it it will
    *sometimes* lock up the machine
    That's never happened to me. I did discover that if I change the idle time to 5 minutes, then the screensavers will run...for about 2 minutes. So there's something about the 7 minute mark that is telling the screen to go blank.

Is anyone else getting this?

i did have a similar issue a couple weeks ago.
    but it had nothing to do with my screensaver settings, and i definitely did not have it set to random.

i was having issues with my power management. i was running kpowersave, and powerdevil was not installed...
    since i'm running kde4.2, powerdevil should have been the true power manager.
    after i resolved my power management issues, removing kpowersave and properly installing powerdevil, this also resolved my screensaver issue.

again, your problem may be your power management settings...make sure you have the proper power manager running, and make sure that the settings are what you want them to be..

Did I mention I'm using a desktop? I don't have powerdevil or kpowersave installed so I don't think that's the problem. Powerdevil isn't compatible with KDE 4.2 and kpowersave is a KDE3 application.

I did install YaST2 power management which is set to default. The other settings are:

Balanced Low Latency Computing
    Low Latency Computing
    Powersaving

There's no other settings than these four.

I found it. Under system settings > Display > Power Control. Standby after: is set to 7 minutes. There's also a check box Enable display power management that you can disable all together.

I'm patting myself on the back now.