SOS,my opensuse 11.1 eat up all my disk!

dear friends:
Glad you read this post.I come here,desperately ,to find a solution to my problem.

Just now,I was programming in C on my platform,openSUSE 11.1.Then one CPU of my dual core run at 100% ultilization.At first,I didn’t bring it to mind,but soon I found my free disk space decreased rapidly,from 16GB to 4.7 GB.As it did not affect my working,I didn’t pay it more attetion.Just 5 minutes later,the emacs reported error that it has no space available on the device.So I turn to the system monitor,amazed,I found there was no free space,that was 0% available on my disk.
In emacs,I typed Ctrl+x,Ctrl+s and it reported writing failed.
I restarted my computer,disappointed,it didn’t take effects.
How could I do with my fully-ultilized disk and my poor computer?
Look forward to your help.Many thanks.

Hongbao Chen
                              P.R.China

Sounds like something is writing an endless stream of log, I have a hunch as to what it is

Look at your home directory directory and observe the file .xsession-errors, is this file by any chance retardedly huge (as in gigabytes)?

dear friends:

(Actually,I have posted this article in the Hardware section,but I really want a solution as soon as possible because it is near the deadline of my homework.)
Glad you read this post.I come here,desperately ,to find a solution to my problem.

Just now,I was programming in C on my platform,openSUSE 11.1.Then one CPU of my dual core run at 100% ultilization.At first,I didn’t bring it to mind,but soon I found my free disk space decreased rapidly,from 16GB to 4.7 GB.As it did not affect my working,I didn’t pay it more attetion.Just 5 minutes later,the emacs reported error that it has no space available on the device.So I turn to the system monitor,amazed,I found there was no free space,that was 0% available on my disk.
In emacs,I typed Ctrl+x,Ctrl+s and it reported writing failed.
I restarted my computer,disappointed,it didn’t take effects.
How could I do with my fully-ultilized disk and my poor computer?
Look forward to your help.Many thanks.

Hongbao Chen
P.R.China

Hi microcore! To be able to see which files are eating the space, please execute

du -kxm / | sort -r -n | more > OVERVIEW.txt

in your root directory. The files will be sorted by size and presented in more, largest files first, in MB. Result should be an overview and you might find the logs easier as well as the task that keeps writing those.
Just open the created logfile “OVERVIEW.txt” (placed in your root directory) with an editor of your choice. Please feel free to post your log if you don’t know how to proceed.

TheMask.

Dear chinese friend. It’s probably some log file growing at incredible speed, due to errors.
First you’ll have to find out which file(s) grow so fast. Try to find files or folders bigger than 1 GB, and post here wich ones they are. We will try to help you from there.

hi,

preferably in a live cd run the following command in bash:

find / -size +500M -nowarn -exec ls -l {} \; -print 2>/dev/null

this will find you all files which are greater than or equal to 500 megabyte. as Knurpht said, especially look for log files (in folders such as /var/log).

you might also want to clean your /tmp/ directory. in a live cd simply delete everything, otherwise edit in your Suse in /etc/sysconfig/cron these parameters:

MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP="1"
MAX_DAYS_IN_LONG_TMP="0"
LONG_TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR=""
OWNER_TO_KEEP_IN_TMP="root"
CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP="yes" 

then reboot. while booting your tmp dirs get cleaned.

Please don’t double post. It causes confusion. I’ve combined the two threads for you.