Hello. This is a real strange problem that I did not find addressed with a search of these forums.

I am running SuSE 11.0 on a desktop (64 bit) and 11.0 on a laptop (32 bit). Have Firefox 3.0.10 on both, and both were running fine until recently. Now the laptop is a mess.

Firefox looks much different suddenly, and the various feature buttons have moved and some have changed. And there are other oddities -- for example, when I try to type a colon ( in the address bar (to get aboutlugins) I instead get a mystery character (can't begin to describe it). And all of the plugins that I know were in Firefox on the laptop are now gone

So I've been trying to figure out what's happening. That's when I clicked on "help > about Mozilla Firefox." And here's where it's really strange.

On the properly functioning desktop it says: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U;Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042700 SUSE/3.0.10-2.1 Firefox/3.0.10"

But on the screwed up laptop it says: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv(odd character which should be a colon)1.9.0.10 Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10"

Windows version of Firefox? Not a Linux version?

So I deleted and reinstalled using the Yast software management package manager. And the same ********** Windows version loaded again!!

Under the version tab it says: 3.0.10.1.1-i586 from openSUSE-11.0-Updates." So somehow it's pulling a Windows version of Firefox from the SuSE server. How odd.

This Windows version of Firefox just doesn't work right with SuSE 11.0.

Any ideas? How can I get the Linux version of Firefox using the Yast package manager? Is this a known problem? Am I crazy? (Don't answer!)

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thx
socref