Thread: Open Office launch icon on desktop gives error

Hybrid View

Default Open Office launch icon on desktop gives error

I recently installed OOO 3.1 on my SUSE 11.1 system. Installation placed a launch icon on the desktop. When I click the icon I receive error message: "There was an error launching the application. Details: Failed to change to directory '$HOME' (No such file or directory)"

How do I correct this condition and what mistake did I make during installation?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Default Re: Open Office launch icon on desktop gives error

Hi,
    Please try to find OpenOffice launcher (icon) in openSuSE application menu. If it will work to run OpenOffice from menu, then simply delete launcher from desktop, right click on OpenOffice launcher in menu and select Add to desktop.
    If OpenOffice does not work from menu then try to check if launcher is correctly set. Right click on desktop launcher > Properties > select Application tab.
    There should be command oofromtemplate or ooffice (or theoretically oowriter, oocalc, ... if this is launcher of concrete office application) in command filed to open open office with "start page". If there is something else, change it to oofromtemplate or ooffice (and for sure backup what there was).
    You can also try set to command filed to oowriter to run writer, oocalc to run calc
    If it still fails then you can run some of these commands from console and copy paste errors from console here to forum, and also can add here original command from Desktop OOO launcher. I will try to analyse this and find the solution.
    Laptop: openSuSE 11.0 on Asus F5V; Intel T2250 1730MHz; 2GB; 160GB; ATI Radeon X2300
    Desktop: openSuSE 11.1 on AMD Duron 1600MHz; 1GB; 160GB; nVidia FX5500
    Multimedia PC: openSuSE 11.1 on Intel Atom 330; 2GB; 840GB; Intel Acc 950; Leadtek DTV 2000H

Thanks for your suggestions.

Firstly, I can find no OpenOffice launcher (icon) in the openSuSE application menu. There was one for version 3.0 of OOO but when I installed OOO 3.1 that icon disappeared. This is why I was trying to start OOO from the Office icon on the desktop.

Secondly, there is no Application tab in the Properties for the desktop icon. There is a Basic tab; this shows a number of properties, one of which is called 'command'. This is already set to oofromtemplate

Thirdly, you asked me to paste here the original command from Desktop OOO launcher. That error message is in my original post.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

somebody_else NNTP User

XEyedBear wrote:
    > Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > Firstly, I can find no OpenOffice launcher (icon) in the openSuSE
    > application menu. There was one for version 3.0 of OOO but when I
    > installed OOO 3.1 that icon disappeared. This is why I was trying to
    > start OOO from the Office icon on the desktop.

HOW did you install the new version?

i guess you downloaded the RPM and what? used a terminal to run an rpm
    command? so last century!

first, (imho) your are much better off sticking to SUSE repos and
    using YaST to install (FORGET the fact that there might be a release a
    few months newer than the one in the SUSE repos, if you can--unless,
    of course you HAVE a problem with the current SUSE repo version which
    HAS BEEN FIXED in a later release)..

but, if you canNOT wait for the SUSE repo to have a newer version then
    you may try this:

1. download the RPM for your machine architecture
    2. right click on the RPM
    3. select Actions > Install with YaST

that way YaST will:

- remove the old application
    - install the new application
    - install the new application in the Menu!!
    - give you an easy way to remove the application (completely) by using
    YaST

--
    somebody_else