Openoffice crashes too often

Hi all,

I’ve installed opensuse 11.1 on my laptop and have openoffice 3. In the beginning, ooo worked fine, but now it crashes all the time. When I press a button, or even when I’m opening a file (sometimes I’m even unable to do anything because it crashes from the moment i start it). Then I see a screen to recover the files, but of course the changes I’ve made are not saved! This is very annoying since I have to write my thesis on it.

I’ve already tried by re-installing openoffice and writer in yast, but doesn’t seem to cure that much.

So anyone knows a solution to this?

Thanx, Wouter

Post result of this:

zypper lr

Let’s see what repos you have

| Alias | Naam | Ingeschakeld | Vernieuwen

—±-------------------------±-------------------------±-------------±----------
1 | KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop | KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop | Ja | Ja
2 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | Nee | Ja
3 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Ja | Ja
4 | devel:tools:building | devel:tools:building | Ja | Ja
5 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | openSUSE 11.1-0 | Nee | Nee
6 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.1-Debug | Nee | Ja
7 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Non-Oss | Ja | Ja
8 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.1-Oss | Ja | Ja
9 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.1-Source | Nee | Ja
10 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.1-Update | Ja | Ja

note: it’s in dutch. Ja=yes nee=no. Ingeschakeld=enabled. vernieuwen=refresh

Normally, it should be okay because I’ve already set these repos good in the past (but you never now :wink:

Have you added something into it that might be causing the crash?

Does starting it from the command line give you anything useful to go on…

oowriter should be it.

I don’t know if I added something, don’t think so. Also starting it up with terminal doesn’t give me any useful feedback.
But last time I started it, I got a message from kde that it crashed and looked for the backtrace, and got this.

Deze backtrace is onbruikbaar.
Mogelijk zijn uw KDE-pakketten gemaakt op een wijze die verhindert dat er goede backtraces kunnen worden aangemaakt, of de stack frame was flink beschadigd tijdens het vastlopen van het programma.

e?1034h

translation:
This backtrace is unusable
Possibly, your kde-repositories are made in such a way that it’s impossible to make good bactraces, or that your stack frame was heavily damaged while the program crashed

Handig hè, dat terugvertalen in correct computer engels? Maar het gaat heel goed!

Sorry FM, I will not intervene in you trying to help sonicboy. But I had to give him kudoos for his translation work.

The absence of any hard info makes this a little tricky.
You could try using the Open Office repo (though it’s not something I would normally recommend) from Build Service
Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.1

Or use koffice for the time being.

Your next step would be to get the debug packages for it and see if they give you more help…

I would leave hcvv to take over but clearly English is no problem for you, where as my Dutch is non-existent… :wink:

This should get you started
Bugs:KDE - openSUSE

The other option perhaps, which I’m running(Another distro no suse quirks though) but can’t really test to see if I can replicate is the OO repo. From the looks of things there is 3.0.99 the 99 normally means it’s a test for the next one so should advance to 3.1 which from I can work out would add up to the OO tree(Remember suse uses go-oo)

Switch from KDE native Dialogs to OpenOffice dialogs in
Tools > Options > General > Use OOo Dialogs.
Hope that helps.

I’ve done all the things suggested in this forum, but nothing seems to cure it…

Luckily, I still have windows on my pc, so I can easily swith. But I would rather like to work with linux, but the drawbacks of it prevent me to do this.

ps, hcw thx for the kudos. I’m following courses in English, so my knowledge of English is better than average (I hope so :-))

Dank u en tot ziens

Have you tried renaming the hidden folder .003
.003_old