Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KDE 3.5 -> 4.2

Default Re: KDE 3.5 -> 4.2

In MyComputer, KDE 4.2.3 is displayed. Why this difference from what is displayed in Konqueror?
    And how do I manage to make the icons reappear in the "miniature box"?

If you're running QT lower than 4.5, try updating that - it worked for some people for system tray corruption.

Index of /repositories/KDE:

Or maybe try to move (or delete) the .kde4 directory in your home folder. Be aware that you'll have to set your desktop up again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gian-Piero View Post
    In MyComputer, KDE 4.2.3 is displayed. Why this difference from what is displayed in Konqueror?
    And how do I manage to make the icons reappear in the "miniature box"?
    Are you sure your just not opening kde3 konqueror???
    And what is a miniature box??
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I apologize for my English. I use openSUSE in the French version.
    At the bottom of the desktop there is a bar which is called, I think, dashboard. In the dashboard, at the right end, there is a small type of window with small icons in it, for example the sound control,the Updater Applet,etc, but I do not know its English name.This is what I called a "miniature box", directly translated from French.

The icons on the desktop were too big: I have erased them and reinstalled them, now the size is correct.
    After a reboot, the KDE version appears correctly to be 4.2.3.

But I have still 4 problems:
    1. When starting a new session in kde4 mode, all the icons on the desktop are mixed.
    2. The icons in the "miniature box" are greyed.
    3. The Network manager does not function.
    4. The monitor of my UPS does not function.
    All of theses faults do not appear in a Kde 3.5 session.

I have a backup of my hardrive. I believe that I will make a restore of 11.0 + KDE 3.5 (about 12 minutes) and restart a carefull installation of KDE 4.2

Blog Entries

Miniature Box = Sys Tray

In my opinion you might be best to continue with kde3. Or try a complete re-install with one of the Live CD's running kde4.2
    eg: Index of /repositories/KDE:/Medias/images/iso
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I think I will continue with KDE 3.5.9, according to your opinion. I use 11.1 with KDE 4.1.3 on another PC without problem. But I have a few applications that run on 11.0 and not on 11.1.
    Thank you again for your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gian-Piero View Post
    I think I will continue with KDE 3.5.9, according to your opinion. I use 11.1 with KDE 4.1.3 on another PC without problem. But I have a few applications that run on 11.0 and not on 11.1.
    Thank you again for your help.
    You are welcome.
    FYI: It's not totally uncommon to experience some issues. And add to that the fact that you had 11.0 installed in this situation and the system was reasonably established - this can all lead to issues. Though I would add that they are all solvable - It's just not always easy for some. Sometimes if you create a new user account (just try it for kde4 sessions) it may help. I did a sandbox install last week with 11.0 and kde3 with kde4.2 and for me it worked fine. But then a new install, adding all the repo's and updating all in one move - should be easy - and it was.

You can add some feature to kde 3 by using the Build Service repo
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.0
    Leap 15.1_KDE

If you have blue packages and zypper up won't update it then you need to adjust priorities. It is best to set them all at the same level. This way they will always get updated to the highest version.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Before you frazzle everything, I'd seriously recommend trying to update QT to 4.5 and creating a new user. I reckon that might fix most of the problems you're having, and it won't take too long...

Ultimately,I have made a restore of my hard drive backup with 11.0 + KDE 3.5, added the repos for KDE4 and QT4.5, and made the updates. Then I have started a session in KDE4 as usual, without adding a new user, and all is running perfectly.
    Thanks a lot to all of you who have helped me in solving this problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast