Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSuse 11.1 KDE4 LiveCd i686

Default openSuse 11.1 KDE4 LiveCd i686

I just downloaded the above, carefully burnt it at the slowest speed, took it to my portable and booted.
    I got a nice Welcome screen quickly followed by a menu which after a short while installed something the screen changed to a couple of words in the middle - time past and then it rebooted and there I am back at the beginning!

Twenty years ago I looked into Unix but there was no decent software NOW I hear that has been corrected but I cannot get an installation to install on my rather old portable!

There does not appear to be an illustrated help file for the installation of this 'liveCD' so if anyone can tell me what I am supposed to do it would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: openSuse 11.1 KDE4 LiveCd i686

The LiveCD won't actually do an install, rather load the OS into memory or read from the disc to allow you to evaluate linux. It shouldn't modify your hard drive in any way. As a result of being on a CD, it may not come with all drivers especially for an old notebook. Could be failing to load a device. If you want to do a full install then you'll have to grab/burn the DVD iso.

I don't recall what the LiveCD welcome menu looks like, did you get any options through the process?

I see. There were a few options like check media; test memory; run from HD; and maybe a couple of others.
    Now if I need the DVD version how do I install it on my portable which only has a CD? Is it possible to cut it up into CD chunks?

Cheers

Not sure on that one. You do have the option to download the Boot CD and install over the internet, but it can be tricky. I think there's a tutorial on the download page.

Thank you. I will give that a try.

davegthomas wrote:
    > Thank you. I will give that a try.

Once the Live CD is running, there is an Install icon on the desktop. It
    essentially does a network install from there.

I am back briefly.

I tried to find the install CD - no link!

Issue installing 11.1 - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums
    Looked there. did not see anything relevant.

I keep seeing all these comments on the internet about how good linux is and what rubbish windows is HOWEVER if everyone else has the same problems I am having your revolution is dead in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by davegthomas View Post
    Looked there. did not see anything relevant.
    #17 - #22 + my second link
    HOWEVER if everyone else has the same problems I am having
    Well, obviously that is not the case.

your revolution is dead in the water!
    Aha, good to know, I will sell my "revolution inc." stock right away.

I didn't turn the page to #3.

That seems to be it then. This Acer Travelmate only has 192Mb of RAM.

Yes if you have a new machine it probably installs fine BUT if you want to try it on an old PC ....

Windows 7 doesn't have any of these problems. It has plenty of others but at least it installs IF you have pots of RAM and oodles of HD space!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast