Thread: Firefox proxy settings file

STS301 NNTP User

Default Firefox proxy settings file

hi

I need to know where the firefox proxy settings are saved, because I want to write a program, which changes the proxy settings.

In the home folder I didn't find anything I could detect as a proxy settings file.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firefox proxy settings file

It's just part of the general settings in prefs.js. There are several user_pref settings, such as:

Code:
    user_pref("network.proxy.http", "localhost");
    Be careful not to modify the file while firefox is running, firefox could overwrite your changes.

If you are going to do this a lot, perhaps it might be better to tell firefox to use a autoconfig proxy URL, which can point to a local file containing the Javascript function that decides whether or not a URL is to be sent through the proxy.

STS301 NNTP User

right, I think that is the better way, but what do I have to write in the file and how can I tell Firefox to use this file?

Can I write in the URL for proxy detection /home/user/ff/proxy.jsp or something?

Blog Entries

Here's the standard specifying what goes into the proxy autoconfig (PAC) file:

Proxy auto-config - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A sticking point is that if you just put it in a file, and refer to it using a file:/// resource, it may not have the right mime type and the browser may ignore it. Just have to try it out. If that's the case you have to serve it from a web server and make sure the web server returns the right mime type for .pac extensions.