Thread: Clean Install for 11.1

Default Clean Install for 11.1

Hi Folks,

I have had some trouble attempting to install 11.1 over top of 10.3 on one computer and 10.1 on another. What I want to do on these computers is to wipe my hard drive clear of earlier versions of Open Suse and do a "clean" install of 11.1. My question is: How to wipe the Hard Drive clean of everything and install 11.1 as a completely fresh install from the 11.1 DVD?

Thanks a million for anyone who can give me user-friendly directions!

Joe
    "I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man, like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand." --Bob Dylan

Default Re: Clean Install for 11.1

1) Yes, a clean install is the recommended way if you don't upgrade to the next version (you would "jump" over 11.0 or over 10.2, 10.3, 11.0).

2) No, you don't need to wipe anything before, just choose to perform a new install in the installer (instead of update) and choose the "old" /-partition as new /.

Thanks for the help Akoellh. Actually, another reason I wanted instructions on how to wipe the hard drive clean is I may go with a dual boot (Windowas XP) and Linux 11.1. Is there a quick way to clear and clean the disc drive? I would then intall XP first, followed by the installation of 11.1. These are old puters to mess with so it's not like I'm losing any important data if I clear the drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

joe
    "I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man, like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand." --Bob Dylan

Then just repartition your disk on windows install leaving enough space (unpartitioned) for linux.