i catch it!!!!

i executed a zypper dup and
    Code:
    stocker:~ # zypper dup
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Computing distribution upgrade...

The following packages are going to be upgraded:
      gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-schroedinger hplip hplip-hpijs ktoblzcheck libdvbpsi5 
    libfaac0 libgpod-tools libgstreamer-0_10-0 libofx4 libschroedinger-1_0-0 mono-addins 
    mono-zeroconf mono-zeroconf-provider-avahi ndesk-dbus ndesk-dbus-glib podsleuth 
    tightvnc usb_modeswitch xsane 

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      blt gamin gstreamer-0_10-lang imlib2 inkscape-extensions-fig 
    inkscape-extensions-skencil libcaca0 libgpod4 libktoblzcheck1 liboil-0_3-0 
    libquicktime0 libsndfile1 lomoco python-imaging python-lcms python-tk sk1 tix transfig 

The following packages are going to be REMOVED:
      fam libcaca liboil libquicktime 

The following packages are going to change vendor:
      gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-schroedinger hplip hplip-hpijs ktoblzcheck libdvbpsi5 
    libfaac0 libgpod-tools libgstreamer-0_10-0 libofx4 libschroedinger-1_0-0 mono-addins 
    mono-zeroconf mono-zeroconf-provider-avahi ndesk-dbus ndesk-dbus-glib podsleuth 
    tightvnc usb_modeswitch xsane 

Overall download size: 24.2 M. After the operation, additional 32.9 M will be used.
    Continue? [YES/no]: YES
    As you can see, the 21 updates i could see in yast are now seen by zypper!!!
    Good. I guess that for the next time, i won't have to "dup" as it already sync with the right repos!

Cool for all those advices!! opensuse is really good.
    Withe the zypper stuff, you get close to debian and as i was a bit tired of the dig deep to do simple stuff, opensuse seems to suits me! Bye (it 4:25am in paris. Got to sleep...)

Default Re: zypper & yast

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    At some time (I really couldn't figure out which time span) after the last refresh, I don't get a warning any more but zypper even refuses to perform zypper se as non-root user and just exits with a remark that the metadata is too old.

I will post the respective message when I get the behaviour described above.
    And here it is

Code:
     zypper se -s compal-laptop-kmp-default
    Target initialization failed:
    Cannot create temporary file under /var/cache/zypp/solv/@System.
    Running 'zypper refresh' as root might resolve the problem.
    (OK, the remark is not about outdated metadata)

The files in

/var/cache/zypp/solv/@System

are a little older than 6h now.

Default Re: zypper & yast

Quote Originally Posted by stockersky View Post
    But if i use Yast and go to "software manager" (i'm french so i translate) and look at the middle column (updates) i can find 21 updates available!!!
    Well, I don't use YaST too much and I though this was solved with openSUSE 11.1, but seems it was only half fixed.
    If you look at Re: [softwaremgmt] What is wrong with softwaremgmt in 11.0. ?SVN status? you will see that at really YaST isn't using the same algorithms than zypper.
    The software management stack in openSUSE has changed a lot from the 9.x and the 11.x series. Now, with libzypp, we have the good solution... zypper uses it, but YaST still doesn't always. Perhaps for 11.2 it will be totally solved.
    In the referenced mail is all explained. In YaST the applications try to do things in their own, not asking libzypp... and that's bad.

So, we have different "updates":
    - zypper lu -a
    This one was "zypper lu" in 11.0, but it's plain wrong. It will list all packages with a higher version-release number than the installed ones.
    The problem is that it ignores repository priorities and vendor changes.
    It just does a simple test, searching for packages with the same name but higher version. So if a package update changes the name it isn't shown... and it can even show packages that aren't installable (because of missing dependencies).

- zypper lu/zypper up (the first only lists, the latter does the update)
    This one is The Correct (TM) one, use it. It will update with the conditions explained in my last post (same vendor, higher priority).

- zypper lu -t patch/zypper up -t patch
    This one only looks for patches, not for packages. So only updates from the official updates repo are shown.

- zypper dup
    It's supposed to be used to upgrade to the next openSUSE version (even if isn't officially supported). Similar to "zypper up", but "different"... it will downgrade if necessary, ignores the vendor changes and other minor differences.

- YaST sw_single Qt "Upgrade if newer" and GTK "Updates"
    I just tested it. It is similar to "zypper lu -a" but honors repository priorities and ignores the locks.
    A little better than "zypper lu -a"... but wrong. Being so broken I would not recommend anyone to use it.

Oh, and don't forget to create this file:
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/zypp/vendors.d/packman
    [main]

vendors=http://packman,packman
    The problem is that the third party Packman repository (that hosts patented codecs and more) sometimes changes the vendor of its packages between "http://packman.links2linux.de" and "packman.links2linux.de". Since that means a vendor change zypper up will ignore the update. With this file you say that both strings are from the same vendor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12