Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No desktop with KDE 4.1

Question No desktop with KDE 4.1

Can anyone explain to me why, when I log in with Session Type KDE 4.1 (default), the contents of my home folder Desktop are not displayed (only the background pattern)? When I log in with KDE 3.5 everything is there as expected.

hn

Default Re: No desktop with KDE 4.1

Hi,

When in KDE 4.1, right click on your Desktop then choose Desktop Settings. Under Desktop Activity choose Folder View then click okay. I think by default it shows your Desktop folder. So then right click on your desktop again and then specify which folder for it to show.

Good Luck,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Hi,

Under Desktop Activity choose Folder View then click okay.
    "Folder View" is not an option under (my) Desktop Activity...so I guess I need to install some other KDE 4 goodies?

...huh?

hn

What are your options for Desktop Activity?

I know they changed in 4.2.2 and currently I'm using 4.3. so I'm trying to go from memory of 4.1.

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

What are your options for Desktop Activity?
    Desktop - Default desktop containment
    Plain Desktop - Desktop without toolbox

...and nothing else under Desktop Activity

hn

Try the Plain Desktop option. I think then you should be able to configure which folder is shown. If not then with Desktop - Default Desktop Containment right click on your Desktop, then choose add widgets. search for Folder View widget and add it. I think the default display folder is your home folder. If not then you can hover over it and click the wrench icon. There you can tell it what folder to show.

Good Luck,

Ian

Also, I would seriously consider updating to 4.2. It is now considered stable.

then choose add widgets. search for Folder View widget and add it.
    ...don't have a "folder view" widget...

hn

Did you try the search function of add widgets? I use to overlook the folder view widget when I was getting use to 4.1 as well. It definitely should be there.

Good Luck,

Ian

Did you try the search function of add widgets?
    Of course I did. There are only two file system widgets. The nearest one is 'file watcher'.

hn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast