OpenSuse 11.1 64 bits Firefox YouTube does not work

Hello all.

I am a new OpenSuse user, I have just installed OpenSuse 11.1 (x86_64) and it is impossible for me to read a YouTube video (white screen) with Firefox 3.0.4. I have installed Adobe Flash player 10 but nothing has changed. Help !? Thanks a lot.

After the default install, the first update you do should install the openSUSE’s version of flash player. If you installed a version directly from Adobe’s site, then the plugin probably isn’t linked to Firefox correctly. Uninstall this version if that is what you did.

Use the YaST software install tool and type flash player into the search field and install that one. Then add the Mozilla repos so you can update to the latest Firefox (3.0.4 is old).

To do this, click on Configuration > Repositories > Add (at the bottom) and check the Community Repositories, then click next. Check the Mozilla repo and click ok.Then click ok again. Then type Firefox in the search field and update it.

What do you mean by “the openSUSE’s flash player” ? I have uninstalled the Adobe flash player and updated Firefox (now 3.0.9, the latest). Then I have tried to install Gnash for example (found with YaST typing “flash player”) but the problem is always the same. How do you link a flash plugin to Firefox ? Perhaps the problem is here… Thanks for helping me.

What do you mean by “the openSUSE’s flash player” ?

I meant the version of flash-player that comes from the openSUSE repos. You also need the version of Firefox from these repos so the links to the flashplayer plugin will be correct. If you updated Firefox by the method I described above, you should be ok.

From YaST software tool, type flash in the search field. You need flash-player and pullin-flash-player. If these are already installed, look in /usr/lib/browser-plugins for a file called libflashplayer.so.

Then type about : plugins (no spaces) into Firefox to see what plugins are installed.

In order to achieve better multimedia and Java viewing in Firefox, better use the 32 bit version of Firefox in 64 bit OS.

Thanks Pilotgi for your answer. I did exactly what you said : I have uninstalled Firefox then reinstalled it with YaST (Firefox 3.0.9 i586 ie 32 bits), and I have installed flash-player and pullin-flash-player with YaST. Now /usr/lib/browser-plugins/ contains libflashplayer.so, and when I type “about:plugins” into Firefox, this library is correctly taken into account. But now, when I want to watch a video on YouTube, Firefox crashes… Any idea ? Thanks.

You need to install the 64 bit version of Firefox if you’re using openSUSE 11.1 x86-64. Uninstall the 32 bit version.

Just to be sure, check in /usr/lib64/browser-plugins and make sure nswrapper in in there.

If you installed gnash, uninstall it also.

OK, it works correctly now ! Thank you very much for your help.

Good job! Glad you got it going.

Nice idea, but I got a problem getting the mozilla repos installed.
When I click configuration > Repositories > Add and choose the community repos I get a error message Unaible to downloaad list of repostiries or no repositries defined,so I dont even see any repos I can add.
Any idea how to solve this?
And does the player works under konqueror as well?

As stated here:

Power Outage in Nuernberg Office - openSUSE Forums