Updater applet

Hi,

Can somebody tell me which packages are for updater applet in GNOME? I have propably accidentaly uninstalled it because is nowhere to find, not in application browser and neither in control center…

Hi
I think you mean packagekit and gnome-packagekit. There should be an
entry in Control Center->sessions called “PackageKit Update
Applet”?

If it doesn’t you can add a new one using the following;

Name: PackageKit Update Applet
Command: gpk-update-icon
Comment: PackageKit Update Applet

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
up 13:33, 2 users, load average: 0.88, 0.49, 0.22
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Thanks for help :slight_smile: gnome-packagekit was not installed. I don’t know how is that possible, maybe it was removed durring installation due that frakin’ patterns/depencies behaviour typical for openSUSE…

Looks like i am still not there. Updater applet does not see any updates and gives me errors… Any suggestions?

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9875/updater.jpg

Sometimes just updating manually can help, but I assumed you’ve tried…?

su -
zypper up

I can do that if i want to or i can update through package manager, but point is that i want to get work also standard updater applet…

Nobody nothing ? :frowning:

6205 wrote:
> I can do that if i want to or i can update through package manager, but
> point is that i want to get work also standard updater applet…

i think his point was that

su -
zypper up

might fix your updater problem…

heartless_bot

I have already tried zypper up, but it does not solved my problems. Zypper don’t even see updades available in Yast package manager, but the main problem what i’m trying to solve here is f***ed up GNOME Packagekit framework.

Update viewer is unable to retrieve updates. Also there are no software repositories in repository viewer, there are also no software available in Add/Remove Programs and so on…
PackageKit - Screenshots

It’s in this state from day 1 after default GNOME live CD installation with default updates and even when i can do updates manually through Yast package manager.

I would like to have at least once fully working openSUSE installation without f***ed up some core parts of the system.

When will have openSUSE finally working package management like ubuntu? I mean, version 11.1 is not that s**t like 10.1 was, but this is simply unacceptable in yet another ‘year of the linux desktop’

I’ll guess this issue is over capabilities of average forum ‘helper’ so meantime i go probably back to Ubuntu or Vista…

FYI: Although I am KDE. My advice, at least to myself anyway, is quit the updater and don’t have it running at all, ever. It has only ever been a nuisance for me.

I would advise manual updates via Yast - Software Management -
I filter by repo and select the various repo’s including ‘Updates’ and work form here.
I just don’t need the updater trashing everything.

Why? you ask.
I shouldn’t have to do this! you say.

I know, but mostly, users add so many repo’s and have incorrect priorities, that it just screws up the sys if you use updater applet.

Currently i have these official openSUSE repositories:

• Updates
  • OSS
  • Non OSS
  • GNOME stable
  • GNOME community

All have been added through Yast and they have all priority ‘99’

So everything is default, but still not working…

Agree with caf4926 re updater. In fact, unless searching for packages via yast software manager, I tend to only use zypper.

Thanks for help gnome-packagekit was not installed. I don’t know how is that possible, maybe it was removed durring installation due that frakin’ patterns/depencies behaviour typical for openSUSE…

Based on above, I think it may be prudent to check enabled repos. Maybe post here if in doubt.

Zypper don’t even see updates available in Yast package manager

I’m not sure why this would be. AFAIU, ‘zypper up’ behaves slightly differently with openSUSE 11.1 than 11.0 version in that it should pick up 3rd-party package updates as well. But you can try

zypper up -t package

OK… let’s start from begining :slight_smile:

I would like to have PackageKit fully working. How to acomplish that? Do somebody know ?

When i tried openSUSE 11.1 in december 2008 it was working OK, but now it is not.

My repositories are >

Official:

• Update
  • OSS
  • Non OSS

Semi official:

• GNOME stable
  • GNOME community

Third party:

• Banshee
  • Mozilla
  • Java
  • OpenOffice STABLE
  • Packman
  • Videolan

All with priority ‘99’

No matter which one i delete or disable, PackageKit was not working from begining before adding more repositories. Also i have tried reinstall all packages related to PackageKit, but still nothing.

Thing is, your issue is, it seems, isolated.
If you are determined to solve the issue consider:
Your opening post gave a screen of the problem, but did you file a bug report or check the bug database?

is there a way how to remove packagekit with all configuration, cache, files(whatever)and install it again so it will work? i don’t wanna reformat, unless i go back to win…

btw. i don’t think bugzilla can help here in reasonable time frame

PackageKit has little configuration by itself. It’s is just a wrapper over ZYpp, the openSUSE software management stack.
If your problem is just that you don’t see updates, think that in openSUSE there are two kinds of updates: updates of “patches” and updates of “packages” (IMHO stupid differentiation).
Since ZYpp is the only software management stack that does this differentiation, PackageKit developers didn’t add support for it. A PackageKit app can only “update”. The “update” from PackageKit is mapped to the “update patches” from ZYpp, there is no way to trigger a “update packages” from a PackageKit app.

So, when you say “Updater applet does not see any updates” with what are you comparing?
The Gnome updater applet should see the same updates than “zypper up -t patch”, that are a lot less than the updates of “zypper up”.
PackageKit apps only see updates of patches, only updates from the “Updates” repository.
Any update from “GNOME stable”, “GNOME community”, “Banshee”, “Mozilla”, “Java”, “OpenOffice STABLE”, “Packman” or “Videolan” can NOT be seen from the updater applet… whatever you do.

My problems are that checking for updates don’t work(image is at first page)and also as i mentioned before, when i open Software sources from Application browser, i don’t see there my Yast repostories. Not even a single one. It was working before back when was 11.1 released.

Also it’s not true that updater applet sees only updates from official Update repository. In the past months he was able to list also updates from Packman or other repos, not only security patches.

Now when i open Yast package manager and look for updates, there are some, currently from GNOME community, but updating with Zypper says that there is nothing to be updated…

I don’t know what’s broken, but i would like to have it fixed. If it’ not possible, than i give propably linux a break for another 6 months or so.

So my question is, what should be reinstalled, purged, cleaned out and again installed to make it work. I assume remove zypper with zypper is propably not possible :slight_smile: Reinstalling everything related to GNOME PackageKit has been already done without a success…

I’m still running openSUSE 11.0, (I’m not sure if 11.1 updater is the same), but from memory the updater has an option to use ‘Zypp backend’ or ‘PackageKit backend’. Does it exhibit the same behaviour with the former option set?

All the update tools rely on libzypp, and the repo data is located in /var/cache/zypp/ directory. Run this command from console (as root):

rm -r /var/cache/zypp/raw

Then try update again via YOU or zypper:

zypper up -t package

Any difference?

No difference…

Also i have reinstalled all packages related to packagekit and zypper but result is the same. I tired from this, i go propably back to Windows or maybe try Ubuntu depending on free time…i dunno…

Since GNOME:STABLE doesn’t exists (there is GNOME:STABLE:2.24 and GNOME:STABLE:2.26) I would like to look to the output from:

• LC_ALL=C zypper lr -Pu
  • LC_ALL=C zypper se --match-any -t package -s packagekit zypp yast-gtk

About the error messages from gnome-packagekit, I expect a version that doesn’t corresponds with the PackageKit version.