LCd screen resolution

hi
yesterday i installed suse 10.3 every thing went fine the configuration detected Ati Radeon graphics i set the resolution to monitor defautl 1440X900 suring hardware setup and completed the installation now when i start the comp i can see the welcome page but when after that the display is gone from the screen but the computer booots normally and i can hear the login sound … the PC is in running condition but no display. please tell me how to set the refresh rate or whatever i m very new to linux i dont knw much commands please guide me

When the booting starts (you will see the grub screen), type 3 and press enter. This will bring you to text mode and you will see a login prompt. Login as root and run sax to configure the display again. Select a lower resolution (like 1024x780) and see if works first.

sax2

how do u run sax after login to root i mean what should i type juts “sax” ?

Type the following

sax2

brother i tried doin what u said after doing sax it says starting then says cannot connect to X-server and some lines scroll after that the screen goes off…and the pc remains on

plzz plzz help me no body is helping me:’( sax2 dosen work it says x sever not connected type blah and scree goes off in yast2 also i try hardware>>scree and monitor and type the resolution 1024X768@60 hz it goes blank …please some one tell me what to do to change the resolution i tried re installing also but the same problem…i have samsun 19" wide screen lcd

There is a reasonable chance that “sax2” will work for you, but you need to run it with the appropriate input arguments.

First, boot to run level 3 (ie type “3” in the options line of the grub menu) and login as a regular user, and enter the regular user password.

Then type “su” (no quotes and enter root password) to get root permissions.

Then backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which is the file with your graphics, display, keyboard and mouse configuration by typing:cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.newbackupThen confirm your graphics by typing:sax2 -ppost here the output.

(1) If you are confident this is ATI/Radeon graphics on chip0 , then type:sax2 -r -m 0=radeonand see if that appears to work. If that appears to work, then exit YaST, and then type “exit” to get rid of root permissions. Type “whoami” to confirm you are now a regular user. And then type:startxand see if you have X windows (ie a gui). If you do, open a terminal or a konsole, and type “su” (enter root password) followed by “shutdown -r now” to reboot.

(2) If “sax2 -r -m 0=radeon” did not work, then try with root permissions:
sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd and again see if that appears to work. If that appears to work, then exit YaST, and then type “exit” to get rid of root permissions. Type “whoami” to confirm you are now a regular user. And then type:startxand see if you have X windows (ie a gui). If you do, open a terminal or a konsole, and type “su” (enter root password) followed by “shutdown -r now” to reboot.

(3) If “sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd” did not work, then try with root permissions:sax2 -r -m 0=vesa and again see if that appears to work. If that appears to work, then exit YaST, and then type “exit” to get rid of root permissions. Type “whoami” to confirm you are now a regular user. And then type:
startxand see if you have X windows (ie a gui). If you do, open a terminal or a konsole, and type “su” (enter root password) followed by “shutdown -r now” to reboot.

(4) If that does not work, there are other possibilities, such as

• using the installation xorg.conf.install file
  • using the framebuffer
  • installing the proprietary driver

Good luck.

dear moderator atleast somebody reply me i m all stuck since last nite :frowning:

Please read my above post. … Good luck!

brother u did not mention after doing restart how do i exactly change the resolution

sorry for bothering i m very new to the linux and i m trying to learn from whatever u people guide me:)

When you run the command “sax2 -r -m 0=vesa” (or “sax2 -r -m 0=radeon”, … or “sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd” ) it will automatically select a resolution. For the moment, go with that resolution and see if that works. You can find tune this later.

If you wish to learn more about the sax2 command, then type (with root permissions):
man sax2

Hello, Go to this Suse Website and download the correct RPM for your setup. Select Suse 10.3 in the pull down menu, then type radeon in the search field and click search. If you can’t get on the web with your current system, then do you have another system you could download the RPMs and transfer to the Suse system?

TrekJunky

bro when i type sax2 -p after what ever u said i get this
chip:0 is -> ATI Radeon Xpress 200 5A61 (PCIE) 01:05:0 0x1002 0x5a61 AGP radeon

so when i go to the next step of urs typin sax2 -r -m 0=readeon

i get this
Sax:your current configuration will not be read
Sax:no-x server started
Sax:will start own server if needed
Sax:startup

then after this the screen again goes blank

now what to do i m help less :frowning:

@ trekjunky
when i go to iste and search i get only radeonhd files …and more over how will i installl when i cant log in at the first place i cant see my screen after loging in

When the booting starts (you will see the grub screen), type 3 and press enter. This will bring you to text mode and you will see a login prompt. Login as root and start yast (not yast2) and search for radeon. It may give you the x11 driver files for 10.3. If it does, install or re-install them and reboot. I haven’t tried this, so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck. TrekJunky

It really helps if you type it correct. Its “radeon”, … it is NOT the “readeon” that you typed.

Also, as I noted, if “radeon” does not work for you, there is also “vesa” that you can try.

it was radeon that i typed intoit it dint work i tried vesa too its givin the same thing ,why is it so hard to adjust the screen resolution :’(in suse…plz help i just want 1440X900 or 1024X768 @60HZ i m triying every thing nuthing seems to work

Can you confirm that X window works (and that you do get a GUI/desktop), and that all you are trying to do now is tune to a different resolution?

If you are getting no desktop at all, you could try:
su -c ‘cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install /etc/X11/xorg.conf’
enter root password when prompted, and then after the file is copied (it should be very fast), then type:
startx
and see if that works.

Another idea for a very limited desktop (as an interim) is “su” followed by: sax2 -r -m 0=fbdev

• followed by “exit”, and then startx*

yeah i do get the boot menu(gui) and loading (gui) afterthat i dont get anything. screen goes blank i can just hear the login sound after that