Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing firefox and the Garmin webupdater in crossover

Blog Entries

Default Installing firefox and the Garmin webupdater in crossover

The purpose of this howto is to install firefox and the Garmin webupdater in crossover to register a new device and update the unit software. You need to obtain the firefox windows file from mozilla.com and the garmin webupdater from garmin.com under the menu item Support->Updates&Downloads then select the "Additional Software" link.

1. Before proceeding ensure your Garmin device is plugged into the computer via USB and you can see the 'GARMIN" drive either on your desktop or in the /media directory. The Garmin device should also be in "Storage" mode showing a small graphic on the screen representing a garmin device with a small cable linking to a computer.

You may also see a second device appear if your garmin device accepts a SD card and it's plugged in.

If all is OK, proceed to the next step.

2. Start the "Install Windows Software Wizard" and at the first screen select the "Install unsupported software" checkbox and press next.

3. In the select product location select the "Other installed file" and press the browse button and browse to the location of the firefox installer file you downloaded.

Once you have selected the location of the firefox installer, press next.

4. Install into a new bottle in this case the example name for the bottle is garmin_updater. Create from the winxp template.

At this point follow the install prompts for the installation accepting the defaults.

Once firefox installtion is complete, launch the application and ensure that is is working ok (Loads the default start page)

5. You should now be able to go to the garmin website and login to "My Garmin" and register your device etc before proceeding to install the web updater.

6. Shutdown firefox and proceed to install the Garmin webupdater

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing firefox and the Garmin webupdater in crossove

7. Select the "Install more Windows Software" checkbox and press the next button

8. Now select Install into "Other existing bottle" and select garmin_updater in the dropdown and press next.

At this point use the same steps to browse and install the garmin webupdater application as was done for firefox.

9. At this point once the install is complete, the updater should now recognize your device and can proceed with the wizard to update as required.

Blog Entries

There should now be new menu items added for firefox and webupdater, the firefox one can cause some issue so have found it's best to disable some and rename some.

10. In the ~/bin directory as seen in the following image. Right-click and rename for example garmin_firefox.

11. Now to ensure your not loading the garmin_updater version of firefox from the desktop shorcut you just need to rename it.

12. To diable the menu entries for fireox. If you start the crossover configuration tool from the menu and then select the garmin_updater bottle. Then select configure.

13. Now select the menus tab and uncheck the enabled checkbox for the menu items. Select the apply button to finish and exit the confguration tool.

You should now have access to register your garmin device and use the web updater.

<< End of HowTo >>

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    The purpose of this howto is to install firefox and the Garmin webupdater in crossover to register a new device and update the unit software. You need to obtain the firefox windows file from mozilla.com and the garmin webupdater from garmin.com under the menu item Support->Updates&Downloads then select the "Additional Software" link.

(snips)
    What is this "firefox windows file" that I'm supposed to get from mozilla.com? I have no idea what you're referring to. Please specify location and exact name of file. Whatever it is must be important because I can't get these instructions to work.

Thx!
    socref

1. Before proceeding ensure your Garmin device is plugged into the computer via USB and you can see the 'GARMIN" drive either on your desktop or in the /media directory. The Garmin device should also be in "Storage" mode showing a small graphic on the screen representing a garmin device with a small cable linking to a computer.

Yes, done.

You may also see a second device appear if your garmin device accepts a SD card and it's plugged in.

If all is OK, proceed to the next step.

2. Start the "Install Windows Software Wizard" and at the first screen select the "Install unsupported software" checkbox and press next.

3. In the select product location select the "Other installed file" and press the browse button and browse to the location of the firefox installer file you downloaded.
    Now I'm totally confused. What are we loading here? Firefox or something else?

Once you have selected the location of the firefox installer, press next.

4. Install into a new bottle in this case the example name for the bottle is garmin_updater. Create from the winxp template.

Again, I'm confused. Why are we installing Firefox? It's already on the computer.

At this point follow the install prompts for the installation accepting the defaults.

Once firefox installtion is complete, launch the application and ensure that is is working ok (Loads the default start page)
    Firefox was already installed.

5. You should now be able to go to the garmin website and login to "My Garmin" and register your device etc before proceeding to install the web updater.
    No, this is the problem. I can't register the device.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing firefox and the Garmin webupdater in crossover

Quote Originally Posted by socref
    malcolmlewis;1974913 Wrote:
    > The purpose of this howto is to install firefox and the Garmin
    > webupdater in crossover to register a new device and update the unit
    > software. You need to obtain the firefox windows file from mozilla.com
    > and the garmin webupdater from garmin.com under the menu item
    > Support->Updates&Downloads then select the "Additional Software" link.
    >
    > (snips)
    >
    >

What is this "firefox windows file" that I'm supposed to get from
    mozilla.com? I have no idea what you're referring to. Please specify
    location and exact name of file. Whatever it is must be important
    because I can't get these instructions to work.

Thx!
    socref

Hi
    Firefox, the web browser, you need to get the version in the windows
    column.
    Not sure for you language requirements;
    Download a Firefox
    version that speaks your language.

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    up 4:03, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.09
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Hi
    column.
    Download a Firefox
    "You need to get the version in the windows column..."
    What does that mean?

If all you're saying is I need to have Firefox, then I have it. If you're saying something else please be clear. I do not understand what you're saying I need.
    Thx
    socref

Hi
    column.
    Download a Firefox
    Wait, are you saying I need to download a WINDOWS version of Firefox and install that WINDOWS version on my computer that already has Firefox (LINUX) installed? Is that it?
    socref

Malcolm, I tried to install a Windows version of Firefox using Crossover. But that then killed my Linux version, including all my bookmarks. So I could not get back to this forum to follow the instructions.

Ended up deleting the Windows version of Firefox and restoring my Linux version so I could get back to here.

This is crazy. I must be doing something wrong. I cannot imagine that things are so complicated -- especially creating a situation where the Windows version of Firefox take control over my Linux version.

And once it did that I could not copy my bookmarks into the Windows version since "windows" doesn't see the ./ files where my bookmarks were, and Windows won't accept the backslash in file names. So I could not even manually insert the bookmarks.

I am quickly getting frustrated and hoping you have a SIMPLE way to get to the solution.

What to do?
    Thx
    socref

Well I "brute-forced" an install of Windows version of Firefox. Then per the how-to I went to the Garmin site to register the device. But the same problem as using Linux Firefox.

The box to select the device is greyed out and cannot be clicked.

So installing Windows Firefox made no difference.

Is something missing in the instructions? I have followed them explicitly (assuming I understand them, of course), but they do not get the unit registered. And I cannot proceed past that point to try to update the maps unless the unit is registered.

What to do, coach?
    Thx
    socref

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast