Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Moonlight ?!

Default Microsoft Moonlight ?!

Anyone have read this?

Official Novell/Microsoft Web Site (MoreInterop) Calls Moonlight “Microsoft Moonlight” | Boycott Novell

It means seroius business. Not quite sure what to expect in near future. Seems that all the fuzz from Boycott-Novell started to become reality. If that continues...
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop

Default Re: Microsoft Moonlight ?!

Assumptions assumptions and lots of assumptions, combined with even more badmouthing and FUD. This guy really thinks he can predict the future. Delusional people don't know they're delusional, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by beli0135 View Post
    Anyone have read this?

Official Novell/Microsoft Web Site (MoreInterop) Calls Moonlight €œMicrosoft Moonlight€ | Boycott Novell

It means seroius business. Not quite sure what to expect in near future. Seems that all the fuzz from Boycott-Novell started to become reality. If that continues...
    Sad. But it seems to be OK. Here in Europe Linux is big concurrence for micro$oft, so it's absolutely normal that MS begins his anti-linux plan with Novell.
    But I don't worry about that. In the worst case: I have predefined plans, what to do if your favorite distro joins to the forces of dark side.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

What exactly is so special about this specific post in the Roy Schestowitz personal homepage?

Fedora doesn't packages Moonlight because it is "too risky"... well, a link to the discussion would be good, but anyway "too risky" isn't exactly precise. There is any specific law or patent problem?

He also links to a complain in the Debian lists from "saulgoode"... that the package mantainers explains. After the explanation "saulgoode" says:
    You've addressed many of the concerns I raised
    And then there is a PDF with a typo... wow!!

So, again, what is so special?

The Microsoft Covenant doesn't covers a lot of thing, and so?
    If now I sign a paper where I promise never to sue microchip8 about my patent... does that means I have such a patent, that I can sue ram88 and that I would win?

If Microsoft has any patent about Moonlight it can sue anyone that isn't protected by the covenant, yes. What's so special about this? If Microsoft (or anyone else) has any patent about *ANYTHING* it can sue whoever it wants if it hasn't signed previously a covenant not to do so.

If Ballmer says Microsoft has (52?) patents about Linux everybody says "liar". If now he says he has patents about Moonlight... why should I believe him? Exactly where is the difference between the two statements? (yes, one says "Linux" and the other "Moonlight", anything else?).

Nobody heard something about anti-trust-law??
    Microsoft is to big and can no company take over...anti-trust institution in USA and EU speaks about splitting up MS in two companys and all are in panic about MS will take over Novell...

That will never happen...MS is the biggest target of US and EU anti-trust-institutions...
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

Lightbulb Re: Microsoft Moonlight ?!

When MS plans to take over a other company MS it needs to be accorded by the antitrust institutions in the USA, EU, Kanada, Japan...) And that is nearly impossible, because MS is the biggest monopolist in the world...

...don t be afraid i m sure, in the future we will see the big and hard fall of Winblows...
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

Quote Originally Posted by beli0135 View Post
    Roy Schestowitz is mentally unstable.

He should be put in an institution and nowhere else. The man exhibits the most basically identifiable psychological disorder marks that even a first year student could pick directly from a book because he's literally the posterboy for every single sociopath disorder example you can find in the medical journals.

In short the guy is a total coocoo. Taking anything he writes (although he never really writes anything, he just copy pastes text or links randomly to 'proof') as fact is about on line with the people who think US gov't actually bombed their own towers.

My main concern is that a Novell/Microsoft web site is actually calling Moonlight "Microsoft Moonlight". To be fair, I only have Roy Schestowitz's word for that. I can't actually find this so-called statement anywhere on the moreinterop.com web site. Their Moonlight page gives me a runtime error. The rest of Roy's post looks like typical FUD.

But if it really is being called "Microsoft Moonlight", this bothers me greatly. I swore off any and all Microsoft products years ago. I refuse to buy or use anything that provides Microsoft with any revenue or exposure. This includes peripherals, software,, XBox'es and Fords with that Microsoft Sync option.

I've been a SUSE user for 10 years. The patent covenant didn't phase me, I didn't see it as any kind of "threat". I don't mind that Mono is a .net replacement, as long as it was produced as true open source and didn't have the Microsoft name attached to it. I don't mind that Moonlight is a Silverlight replacement, for the same reasons. But if my openSUSE distribution has something called "Microsoft Moonlight" in it, I'll either rip it out altogether or finally start considering another distribution.

10 years ago, I moved to Linux to get away from Microsoft products. If their name starts creeping back into my computer, I'll just have to move farther away.

But again, I have no proof that they're really calling it "Microsoft Moonlight". The page does not load for me.

Like I said it is just a typo in http://www.moreinterop.com/download....er English.pdf

At the end, in the references section says
    Microsoft Moonlight
    http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight
    The guy that first found it just said:
    Finally, just an image I found funny. The whole document is available from Microsoft’s Interop Ability site. Select the “Novell & Microsoft Collaboration Roadmap” link.
    ...but Schestowitz though it was enough to publish it.

wow, now THAT's funny! A whole blog post about a typo in a PDF.

My worries have just vanished.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast