Thread: KDE and firefox

Hybrid View

Default KDE and firefox

Hello.

I recently went from gnome to KDE.
    When I launch Firefox, it never opens it with the window maximized.
    In Gnome, it used to do that, it would remember the last option.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?
    Is there a way to launch FF with it being maximized as a default?
    It looks like the issue is KDE specific.

TIA.

Default Re: KDE and firefox

Hmmm.. Some searching found this very intuitive feature of KDE4.

First open Firefox. Then open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings). Then under Look and Feel choose Window Behavior. Go down to Window Specific. Choose New. Down at the bottom choose Detect Window Properties. Click on Firefox and it will automatically add the window class and window role. Then under Geometry choose Maximized Vertically. I think what you would want is either Apply Initially or Remember. Then click ok.

Good Luck,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Hmmm.. Some searching found this very intuitive feature of KDE4.

First open Firefox. Then open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings). Then under Look and Feel choose Window Behavior. Go down to Window Specific. Choose New. Down at the bottom choose Detect Window Properties. Click on Firefox and it will automatically add the window class and window role. Then under Geometry choose Maximized Vertically. I think what you would want is either Apply Initially or Remember. Then click ok.

Good Luck,

Ian
    Thanks again Ian!
    I followed it, but I dont seem to have a choice where I can select firefox.
    Its strange that this happens with FF yet not with Konqueror.

No, when you select that it gives you a cross hair. So click on the open firefox window. Then it will bring up a menu with a couple options choose Use window class (whole application).

Good Luck,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Got it, it worked!

I am glad it worked, but it is a strange method.
    I guess I got to get used to KDE coming from Gnome.

Thanks!

Hello again,

Here's a video showing how to do it, in case my instructions weren't completely clear. I used swiftfox as the example application.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/...owbehavior.ogv

I used qt-recordmydesktop. It's 7.3MB and 1:25 seconds long.

Good Luck,

Ian

Haha glad you got it working.

Yes it's different and will take some getting use to, but that's how most new things are. Personally I think it's worth the effort

Take Care,

Ian