Default 11.2 milestone 1

openSuse 11.2 milestone 1 is ready for download
    openSUSE News openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 1 Released

I haveeee been testing 11.2 for some time now as alpha 0
    my ati m200 functions quite well using the radeon driver in fact
    better than the proprietary ati drivers from amd on openSuse 11.1
    overall response time is improved

Default Re: 11.2 milestone 1

I think I will give it a try by installing "milestone 1" as xVM virtual-machine guest, onto my oS-11.1 host.

...Curiosity killed the cat!
    Marco Calistri (amdturion)
    opensuse 12.1 (Aspargus) - Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64 Gnome 3.2.1
    Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4 - Intel® Sandybridge Mobile

I gave it a try and had problems installing at first with the default grub installation settings.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

I've been running 11.2 Alpha0 on a test machine for some time. Will a zypper dup get me this milestone?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Yes if you use widehat.opensuse.org/factory-snapshot/repo/ and not the normal Factory repository.

There is nothing exciting about yet. Only new things i found were new capabilities of YaST (new icon by the way ) old Firefox, new kernel, just some updated packages.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I've been running 11.2 Alpha0 on a test machine for some time. Will a zypper dup get me this milestone?
    I got it using yast, I think, I switch between zypper up zypper dup and yast so much I forget what I used but nest time you update you should be on milestone one

right now I installed into a usb hrd drive and am presently using that

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
    There is nothing exciting about yet. Only new things i found were new capabilities of YaST (new icon by the way ) old Firefox, new kernel, just some updated packages.
    Yeah exactly! Finally, we've got there a brand new Yastie logo/icon. And what's wrong about "new kernel and some updated packages" ? I was looking forward to them - especially latest kernel flavour 2.6.29 did it plus the biggest advantage for me is that I do not have to download those messy KDE 4 updates since last openSUSE 11.1 release with my bandwith limited wireless broadband. Anyway, thanks guys for the release.
    openSUSE 11.3 will be another step into future =)

I installed the milestone 1 today. Seems to work pretty well, no stability issues or apps crashing. There's no option to add repos in YaST but zypper works fine for that. I was able to burn a cd with k3b (KDE4) for the first time. It still doesn't work with 11.1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pilotgi View Post
    I installed the milestone 1 today. Seems to work pretty well, no stability issues or apps crashing. There's no option to add repos in YaST but zypper works fine for that. I was able to burn a cd with k3b (KDE4) for the first time. It still doesn't work with 11.1.
    I downloaded and burned the DVD, and also the KDE4 live CD. I then booted from the liveCD, and was pleasantly surprised to find the liveCD ran reasonably well on my "sandbox" PC.

My sandbox PC is an athlon-1100 (w/1GB RAM) and currently a nVidia 8400GS (512MB) PCI card (not PCI-e) and my new 25.5" TFT monitor (connected via a hardware KVM to my main PC).

I did not like the size of the panel at the bottom, so I started playing with that to adjust it. I'm not a KDE4 user (I still use KDE-3.5.10) and in less than a dozen seconds or so, I managed to crash what might have been plasma ... not sure ... but whatever, it appeared to start up again. So I decided to leave well enough alone, and go on to look at some other aspects.

The next thing I noted was the PC's Ethernet card (for my LAN and internet access) was not automatically identified as there was no LAN nor Internet access. Typically this card is identified automatically on this sandbox PC. So I then went to YaST (where I noted YaST has what I think is an Aardvark symbol ! ) only to find that one does not adjust the network card via YaST but rather one is to use the Network Manager ... now this may be the way things are in 11.1, so its likely nothing new in 11.2, but it was new to me

Fortunately the Network Manager had a symbol on the Panel at the bottom of the KDE4 screen, and after a handful of seconds (less than a minute) of fumbling with that, I had LAN access and an Internet connection. Firefox worked.

Sound worked immediately (this old PC has a VIA 8233A w/ALC650D which has been around for a long time).

I ran out of time, but I decided there was enough functionality for me to test it further, so later this week I'll likely install this 11.2 milestone-1 on my sandbox PC from the DVD I burned, replacing a Fedora-10 install that I had been playing with previous.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast