Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VLC SuSE 11.1 5.1 surround problem

Unhappy VLC SuSE 11.1 5.1 surround problem

I have the following problem with Vlc player. When I try to switch from mono or stereo to 4 channels or 5.1 surround audio on any movie with (or without) 6 channels audio - AC3,DVM the audio disappears and it is not possible to switch back to stereo or mono,the video continuous,but it is not possible to quit the Vlc player - the only possibility is with killing X server and logging back. I tried vlc players from Packman as well as VLC repo, but there no difference.

I had the same problem in SuSE 11.0 , but have never had such problem in SuSE 10.2 or SuSE 10.3.

The same movies in SuSE 11.1 play fine in smplayer in 5.1 surrounding mode and could be switched back and forward to stereo mode.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Blog Entries

Default Re: VLC SuSE 11.1 5.1 surround problem

Quote Originally Posted by olegue View Post
    .... it is not possible to quit the Vlc player - the only possibility is with killing X server and logging back.
    I remember years ago I had a problem with vlc, in that it would not shut down easily. I was always able to kill the application from a konsole.

But killing the X server is rather, ... well, .. rather drastic. ...

Did you try running "ps -A" and get the PID# of vlc, and then try, first as a regular user:
    kill -9 PID#
    where PID# is the PID # of vlc
    and if that does not work, try:
    su -c 'kill -9 PID#'
    enter root password when prompted for a password. Again note PID# is the PID # of vlc.

Alternatively, if using KDE, you may be able to press <ctrl><esc> and then kill vlc (if still running) via that GUI.

That might cure the symptom, but not get rid of the cause. I don't have a 5.1 system yet (I might buy one this weekend) so I can't offer any more help than that.

<misread....>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    <misread....>
    True. olegue - ignore my post above.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    True. olegue - ignore my post above.
    ... although, reading the 3rd time ... these words have me puzzled ...
    .... but it is not possible to quit the Vlc player - the only possibility is with killing X server and logging back
    That reads like the only way to shutdown vlc was to kill the X server.

Surely that is not correct? Does not the "kill -9 .... " shut down vlc ?

Agreed, it won't solve the problem of the surround sound .

I remember years ago I had a problem with vlc, in that it would not shut down easily. I was always able to kill the application from a konsole.

But killing the X server is rather, ... well, .. rather drastic. ...

Did you try running "ps -A" and get the PID# of vlc, and then try, first as a regular user:
    kill -9 PID#
    where PID# is the PID # of vlc
    and if that does not work, try:
    su -c 'kill -9 PID#'
    enter root password when prompted for a password. Again note PID# is the PID # of vlc.

Alternatively, if using KDE, you may be able to press <ctrl><esc> and then kill vlc (if still running) via that GUI.

That might cure the symptom, but not get rid of the cause. I don't have a 5.1 system yet (I might buy one this weekend) so I can't offer any more help than that.
    Which one do you gona get for speakers Creative?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1michael1 View Post
    Which one do you gona get for speakers Creative?
    Probably a 5.1 set that is not expensive, and is not going to blast the neighbours out ... (my wife and I live in a relatively small apartment). I'm thinking of the Logitech X-540, and tomorrow I just may just purchase them
    After shipping, there is not much to be saved by ordering via mail order, so I'll likely pick the speakers up from our local PC shop (which is within walking distance): Zimmermann Electronic GmbH - Logitech X-540

Blog Entries

The same movies in SuSE 11.1 play fine in smplayer in 5.1 surrounding mode and could be switched back and forward to stereo mode.

Any ideas how to fix that?
    I now have a 5.1 surround system, and it works fine with vlc.

One idea is you could try changing ".cache/vlc " to ".cache/vlc-bak" and you could also try changing ".config/vlc" to ".config/vlc-bak" and also change ".local/share/vlc" to ".local/share/vlc-bak" and see if starting your vlc configuration over helps.

Note by that appoach, you can always restore things back to the way they were, if it makes things worse.

Talking Re: VLC SuSE 11.1 5.1 surround problem

I now have a 5.1 surround system, and it works fine with vlc.

One idea is you could try changing ".cache/vlc " to ".cache/vlc-bak" and you could also try changing ".config/vlc" to ".config/vlc-bak" and also change ".local/share/vlc" to ".local/share/vlc-bak" and see if starting your vlc configuration over helps.

Note by that appoach, you can always restore things back to the way they were, if it makes things worse.
    I will get the G51 5.1 surround system next week and all there toys I can`t like MSI X58 the top of the line wait
    I`ll bring up in Soapbox we can chat .

mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1michael1 View Post
    I will get the G51 5.1 surround system next week
    The G51 reads like a nice system. I read about it here:
    Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System Review - Overclockers Club

The ability to change skins on the speakers is kind of neat. And the classic logitech feature of a control center (and not forcing one to crawl on the floor by the subwoofer to adjust settings) is nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast