Thread: Who tested BOINC?

Angry Who tested BOINC?

Yesterday, I decided to get back into letting projects like Seti use my unused computer cycles. I used to do this for several years under Ubuntu without incident. I'm running 64-bit 11.1 with all mandatory and recommended patches applied. I open up YAST and install BOINC from the distro. Go into the system settings and set the client to start automatically. Reboot, and try to get into BOINC...cannot connect to manager... I read about a dozen work-arounds on here that seem to work every third blue moon. Is it too much to ask of the people putting the BOINC RPM together for OpenSuSE to actually TEST it?????

Default Re: Who tested BOINC?

Never used the rpm, always compiled & everything works no problem. Maybe try that ?

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

I've had little trouble getting it to work, but some weeks ago I began to notice a problem with my system and I traced it back to boinc.

After an update,(not to boinc itself) the mouse was slow to respond, getting to the point where it wouldn't move then suddenly jump in the direction I was scrolling. I couldn't tell where it would land or if it was done moving. Clicking accurately was near impossible.

I began running it only at night when I went to bed. Then I discovered it would run for hours and show only a few seconds of cpu time. Work units that used to take some hours were showing up at 20 to 30 DAYS. I had to give up on it I was running the cancer cure program and would love to be able to go back. But it isn't working with plasma (I guess).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer44 View Post
    Never used the rpm, always compiled & everything works no problem. Maybe try that ?

Andy
    If they are going to put out an RPM, they need to actually TEST the RPM.

I went to the boinc site and downloaded the beta version. It works well and seems fast. The only "compiling" I had to do was type the name of the file at the CLI. Getting it to run was a pain. You have to click on its icon after a reboot or it won't connect. Getting the icon to do the trick was like pulling teeth. But, all is ok now.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke