Thread: System Crash

Default System Crash

Hello,

I have a Dell Precision M40 laptop w. P3 CPU @ 1200Mhz, 512 MB SDRAM, 80GB SCSI HDD, Samsung CDRW/DVD-ROM optical drive; and a vNvidia Quadro2 MXR/AGP/SSE, running openSuSe v.11.1, new install about a week ago.

The problems are many, but I'll start with a few critical ones first. The system have been crashing and locking up, when various applications are ran, the list:

a.) YaST-->System->System Backup, both in TUI and GUI environments (the application would crash during the module/package search)
    b.) Wine MS emulator application (when you open the respective programs c-panel, make what, if any changes, and press OK; the system locks up and/or crashes)
    c.) When I close the lid of the laptop, even though I've configured the monitor to remain on (this was after having experienced an'X' number of crashes, believing such a config would resolve this problem) the system would crash, requiring a reboot
    d.)YaST-->Software->Media Check, in GUI, but not in TUI environments, a crash is experienced; requiring a reboot to restore system functions
    e.) An observation, my RAM reads 494.0 MB, when 512 MB's are installed (note: video card possess its own VRAM of 32MB), in the 'My Computer' page, assessible via Konqueror @ '/:sysinfo'

Any information on how to resolve these issues would be appreciated, thaxs in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: System Crash

You neglected to tell us if you are using any desktop effects and what desktop are you using, kde3/4, gnome, other?
    I guess kde as you mention Konqueror.
    Normally crashes result in error logs/crash reports and K gives you debug info.

x-session errors are not uncommon given what you are using and I would advise to disable screen savers of any kind.

memory could be an issue as the process you mention are quite intensive.

make sure you are updated with a su terminal and do

zypper ref

zypper up
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thax for responding,

I'm using KDE 4, no known desktop effects (?); pretty much the stock version provided after installation ( w. a splash screen). Screen resolution is 1600x1200 w. 24 bit / 16.7 million colors.

I ran command-lines '# zypper ref' and # zypper up'; both my repositories and packages where update (would like to provide a list of packages upgraded but system crashed shortly after, need to back up various content while I still could). Most of the packages were dealing w. media player applications concerning libraries for xine, perl-Mp3 modules, mostly libraries.

The "error messages" following running and completing the ops implimented by said command-lines read:

Will not save configuration

Configuration file /home/"user"/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

Not writable

Various additional error messages followed, concerning the same ../config directory, they were:

a.) ../kdeglobals ,not writable
    b.) ../kcmintrc , not writable
    c.) ../kbuildsycoca4rc ,not writable
    d.) ../trashrc , not writable

; of the files knotifyrc, kcmintrc, kbuildsycoca4rc, trashrc; could not be found in the target directory.

Question; I now suspect that the media used to install this OS is corrupt, Ktorrent OKed the .ISO file, YaST as well OKed the .ISO but its like 'tossing a coin' when doing a media check, on the media (DVD install). Is their a way to fix this without having to reinstall the OS, some sort of diagnostic application made available over the internet via openSuSe (something like active-X powered; MS update/patch Service), since I currently don't trust my CD and DVD burners; that could scan my file system and tell me whats-what.

Blog Entries

Consider adding this repo
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1

If necessary run zypper from outside X

zypper ref
    zypper up

This will update you to a newer and IMO more stable kde4
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below